First bedding job! Axis/Boyds

I have had excellent luck using Johnson's paste wax as a release agent. I apply a thin coating then polish it after it has dried. With any release agent, you want a thin layer so as to get as close of a mirror image of the action in the stock as possible.

I personally use Jb weld for a bedding material. It is best to let it sit a while to thicken up before applying so that it isn't runny. I use plenty of tape around the stock and exposed action and apply plenty of bedding compound so that it oozes out a fair amount around the stock.

The long dummy screws are definitely the way to go. I also remove the scope and use masking tape to secure the barreled action to the stock for curing. In this way I can get nice even neutral pressure on the action without putting too much pressure which would push it all the way down against the stock thus squishing out the bedding material.

You may want to consider using pillars on any future wood stock bedding jobs as they will give you a non compressible foundation for consistent action screw torque. This will not only tighten up groups but help to maintain consistent POI throughout time and changing weather conditions.

Bedding a rifle is a skill which only improves with repetition. My bedding jobs still don't quite look professional but the groups at the range prove their effectiveness. Warning: the first successful bedding job can quickly lead to an addiction and none of the other unbedded rifles in your collection will be safe!
+1 on the paste wax. I use Devcon Alum. Putty for a good bedding foundation. You can do 4 - 5 rifles from one kit. A little expensive but a great bedding compound. This stuff is used to repair Alum. Engine blocks so you can assume it is good to go for bedding a rifle stock. The cure time is about 6-8 hours. Bed in the am and shoot in the pm. Great stuff.

Hey that's not Kiwi shoe polish in the pics. It's Kiwi dubbin, a water proofing agent for leather boots.

Just an observation from a Kiwi.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.