Finally bit the bullet

GuroChris

Foot of the Blue Ridge in the shadow of Gun Mtn
I just got back from dropping off my rifle at the local gunsmith.

Here's the project.

Well used Remington 700 chambered in .308. I am having him Blueprint the action and bolt and replace the barrel with a Bartlein M24 contour cut to 24 inches. He's going to thread the muzzle and put on an 11 degree crown so I can get a brake or suppressor on down the road. I just got a new MDT-LSS XL chassis to put it in. It already wears a Timney 512 trigger so that is staying.

He said it should get half inch groups with Federal Gold medal Match 168SMKs at 100yds.

The turnaround time is supposedly going to be 4 to 6 weeks, maybe less. Hopefully this all turns out to be true. Never had any kind of custom rifle before so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I have a M24 that just went over 6K rounds. Groups right at an inch now. Been wanting to have it worked on, but I am goin to get a 1:10 twist. After I ran out of the M852 ammo, I fed it my handloads and towards the end I found it really liked the SMK 169 bullets. 1K yds is a doable poke. I will use 175's for the rebuild.

Component availability being what it is, I'm hoping to be able to shoot not just factory ammo but a couple different recipes of hand loads. That way whatever I can get my hands on for bullets I can go shoot.

I have a bunch of IMR 4064. I even have 5lbs of Varget and a few bricks of primers. Mostly CCI's but also some federal 210M's. I have a bunch of Sierra 168SMKs. Id like to try some Berger Hybrid hunters at 175gr.

Come late winter/ early spring I'll be eyes deep in load development.

F.Y.I. the Sierra 168 Matchking is known for instability when going trans-sonic. Otherwise it's a great bullet. IMR-4064 and Varget are good powders for the .308 Win. I usually end up using Varget for my 308 load.

I just got back from dropping off my rifle at the local gunsmith.

Here's the project.

Well used Remington 700 chambered in .308. I am having him Blueprint the action and bolt and replace the barrel with a Bartlein M24 contour cut to 24 inches. He's going to thread the muzzle and put on an 11 degree crown so I can get a brake or suppressor on down the road. I just got a new MDT-LSS XL chassis to put it in. It already wears a Timney 512 trigger so that is staying.

He said it should get half inch groups with Federal Gold medal Match 168SMKs at 100yds.

The turnaround time is supposedly going to be 4 to 6 weeks, maybe less. Hopefully this all turns out to be true. Never had any kind of custom rifle before so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Okay, you are screwed now and forevermore. While you are having all that work done, if you haven't already, have your gunsmith thread your barrel before he gives it back to you, so your rifle is screwed, too. That way you will be ready to put that brake or suppressor on your new passion without having to send it back for that little job. No use giving up your rifle for another 4 to 6 weeks!!!

Already told him to thread the barrel. Not sure which brake but been looking at YHM resonator suppressor. That will have to wait till my checking account recovers a bit.
I have several brakes. I might put an inexpensive brake on the new rifle, but I would be saving up for a suppressor. Shot a friend's rifle with a suppressor, and it was mega better, and a lot more funner than my braked rifles.