I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

AJ Peacock

I've been seriously considering a specialized long range setup for nearly 2 years. I've tried countless ways to convince myself "why I should do it". I finally answered my own question a couple weeks ago with "Because I want to!". Well Santa dropped off a Swaro 8x30 rangefinder this morning. And since we are spending the next week or so out in Colorado (we'll be driving as soon as we get a 22hour opening in the storms), and I'll be ranging all my favorite glassing spots while I'm there.

I've pretty much settled on a .338AM in a 22-24lb single shot rifle. Kirby and I have been playing phone tag to put the final touches on the component list, but it will look something like this.

BAT 10" Action w/40MOA base
33" barrel + brake (finished length 35"-36")
A5 stock
Nightforce NXS 3.5x15 50mm with MLR reticle

Question for the forum. Where is the best place to order the scope?

Just wanted to let everyone know that after fighting the urge for 2 years, it finally got me. This reminds me of one of my favorite Star Trek quotes "Resistance is Futile, you WILL be assimilated."

Merry Christmas to all.

Don

I got mine from Long Range Supply, great people to deal with.

I'm sure Bill or Lerch will chime in soon, they also sell them.

You might as well start putting a second list of components together because once you finish the first one you'll want another one.

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippe

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna get the scope and slap it on my old trustworthy 7mm. Figure I can shoot a few hundred rounds this winter getting used to the reticle, then when the big'n is finished, I can either order a second scope (shhh, don't tell my wife), or send it to Kirby for setup.

Thanks again,
Don

MagMan, I just noticed you're in Michigan as well. Where in Northern Michigan are you located? I'm just east of Flint, not north but not far I'm sure.

Thanks,
Don

good luck trying to get to colorado. im stuck in denver right now. there is 2-3 FEET of snow everywhere in the city and still snowing. every roada in and out of here is closed as well as the air port. good luck with your up coming project. huntinfool18

[ QUOTE ]
good luck trying to get to colorado. im stuck in denver right now. there is 2-3 FEET of snow everywhere in the city and still snowing. every roada in and out of here is closed as well as the air port. good luck with your up coming project. huntinfool18

[/ QUOTE ]

We are going to leave around 11pm Friday night, that should put us into Denver Saturday evening. By then, the roads will be clear and It'll be an easy drive home (western slope) for Christmas.

Good luck getting home, I wouldn't want to be on the road before Friday afternoon, thats for sure. I talked to my dad in Colorado and it was a pretty strong storm (not the worst ever, but a bad one just the same).

Don

I let Kirby order the scope and mount it. That way I knew everything fit together correctly.

I am not sure why you wanat a 40MOA base with a low power scope and a high power barrel. I think I would move up one notch to about 20- 24X or so top end on the scope.

[ QUOTE ]
I let Kirby order the scope and mount it. That way I knew everything fit together correctly.

I am not sure why you wanat a 40MOA base with a low power scope and a high power barrel. I think I would move up one notch to about 20- 24X or so top end on the scope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in my initial email's to Kirby, I mentioned a 20MOA base. He responded that they also offer a 40MOA, so I told him whatever he recommends. From the vantage points I've glassed from since I was a kid in Western Colorado, the ranges will be 600-1500 yards. He told me that for 'general' hunting up to 1500, he'd go with the 3.3x15, for a dedicated always over 1000yd gun he said the 5.5x22 would be better. Actually, I'm still weighing the options. I'll just give Kirby my 'needs' and trust his judgment for the small stuff ;-). It took me a while to learn that lesson, but as I get older, its easy to just leverage the knowledge of the pro's.

As far as having Kirby mount the scope. I will do that, but figured I could spend a couple months getting used to the reticle by temporarily mounting it on my current rifle. Then when the rifle was nearing completion, I'll just pull it and ship it to Kirby.

Thanks,
Don

[ QUOTE ]
Don, I'm in Traverse City.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, we'll have to get together for some shooting sometime. Maybe after I get my rifle, or maybe before. Do you do any coyote hunting up there? I haven't done that since I lived out west.

Don

I do some, most people up here run them with dogs so they're pretty skittish (more than normal). Calling up here is a waste of time.

I do have places to shoot 1000 yards so if you want to get together this next year just let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
I do have places to shoot 1000 yards so if you want to get together this next year just let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the best offer I've had in quite a while. My email is in my profile, drop me an email so I have your contact info. My current 7mm Rem Mag can and has reached out a few times for game (around 900yds for a 34+" Muley is the best so far). So we don't necessarily have to wait for my new rig.

What LR rifle(s) do you shoot?

Don

I would also trust kirbys opinion. He seems like a very knowlwegable resource. The 3.5-15.5 will definantly work. I personally would go with the 5.5-22 if it was me. I haved used both extensivelly and like the extra zoom umf on the 5.5-22. It might be 22.5 but im to lazy to get open the gun room up and check. the 3.5-15.5 will work though. I havent used the reticle you mentioned. I have used the npr-2 and the mildot and would personally suggest the npr-2. Just from what i've seen and expierenced. I wasn't the spelling bee kid either.

This one here.

I've been able to get my 1k groups down to 4-6" and I'm really happy about it.

I also have a Win model 70 in .264 Win Mag, Rem 700 in 300 WM, 17 Rem, and a handful of misc others. But I enjoy shooting the RUM so much it gets all of my attention. My .264 is in second place (and its ****ed).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.