Favorite shotgun

Yeah this is a hard one to answer as you stated in the original post it depends on what you are doing. For hunting upland birds my favorite gun is a Benelli M2 in 20Ga. Its light, swings great and is just a pleasure to shoot. For Waterfowl its my Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 and for shooting Sporting Clays or Trap and Skeet its my Browning 525. If I had top pick a favorite it would be the M2, its just fun.

I believe it was 1985 when I purchased my new Remington 870 special purpose magnum 12ga with a 30" chrome lined barrel. Then when Remington came out with the Remchoke I purchased a 26" Remchoke barrel with a set of chokes. It is my only shotgun I still own today. It has taken everything from doves, to squirrels, toward turkeys. It just fits me and is still serving me well.

Attachments

• 20230427_144135.jpg
    20230427_144135.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
My "newest favorite" is a Tristar Viper G2 Pro model in 28 gauge. I picked it up to use as my primary dove gun this year. It fits me well and shoots where I point it. I have shot several limits of birds with it thus far and plan to take it out again tomorrow. The Pro models are great looking and are reasonably priced. They are exact Benelli clones using the inertia drive system and utilize Benelli Mobil pattern chokes. I've heard that parts are even interchangeable. My old favorite is my Remington 870 Special Field in 12 gauge that I purchased when they were introduced back in 1984. It has seen more miles of northern Minnesota grouse woods than I can recall. Lots of great memories with that shotgun!

Tristar Viper G2 Pro 28 ga
Viper 28.jpg

Remington 870 Special Field advertisement from 1984.
R870SF.jpg

Last edited:
My brother received a Sears n Roebuck single barrel 20ga in the late 50's maybe 60 or 61. It had a " beautiful " inlay of a hunter throwing up the shotgun on a bird. Many pictures of brother in the family album holding Foxes, Grouse, Turkey and squirrels. In 2013 He gave it to me. I recall using it on many Dove hunts...and my first Deer Hunt at 12 yrs of age. I don't recall killing anything with it...but it will always be my favorite. My Big Brothers first gun ! Hard to beat Big Brothers