Favorite shotgun

870 wing master was my duck gun for two decades. It looked horrible after the 1st decade. But always worked. Dropped in the mud, stick it under the water and shake it off, If that wasn't enough, do it again. We reloaded our duck ammo, the hulls were in the bag with the dead ducks so you had to make sure no feathers were in the bottom of the hull when you dropped the powder charge. Got my eyebrows burned off from that once. Pulled the trigger and pop, shot barely made it out of the barrel. I pulled the slide back to reload and poof, fire ball came out of the chamber. Goodbye eyebrows. Soon as fresh air hit the smoldering powder charge.

Remington, 1100 C3 twenty gauge. Beautiful wood. Always smooth to operate, gentle recoil. I've got several OU twelve gauge I shot clays with years ago. But when I'm dove shooting, it's the 1100 I reach for. It was built in1987. Doesn't look like a 33 year old gun.
I was wondering how much this weighs?
I sold my 1100 years ago but it wasn't nearly as nice looking as yours.
My friend has a 1100 20 with a straight stock.

Georgia Quail hunter here starting 1961 when I was 12 years old. First bird gun H&R Topper Jr. 20 gauge. Next was a Remington 11-48 20 gauge about 1963 and then a Browning A5 Light 20 with fantastic French walnut about 1965. Retail was $199.99 at Rich's department store in downtown Atlanta. The Browning was/is my favorite all time. However, lots of regrets about guns no longer here for me. Favorite dove gun is a Charles Daly Superior Grade 12 gauge about 1972. Still have it. Favorite duck gun Beneli M1 super 90 12 gauge. Turkey favorite is a Browning B80 upland model. I have my dad's bird gun which is a Winchester 101 sk/sk which has a lot of good memories and is a beautiful gun. Bought in the late 60's I think. Several others over the years, some here most gone. Current favorite if I ever get to bird hunt again is a Browning BSS 20 Gauge double imp/mod that I've hunted with one time. In the late 90's on pen raised birds and it worked their rear ends over for sure. Easy when you grew up on wild birds. Never knew a double barrel could fit so good until I found this one but that's the last time I shot it unfortunately. Still hoping for one last opportunity. Sorry to get too wordy but I have enjoyed the memories. Again!

In the late 90's on pen raised birds and it worked their rear ends over for sure. Easy when you grew up on wild birds.
When I was young there was plenty of wild pheasant around my neck of the woods. Just pen raised birds released by the game commission for people to shoot now. It's amazing how quickly the ones that make it learn though!

When I was young there was plenty of wild pheasant around my neck of the woods. Just pen raised birds released by the game commission for people to shoot now. It's amazing how quickly the ones that make it learn though!
Hunted pen raised quail one time a few years back after growing up on wild birds in south Alabama and then experiencing a once in a lifetime bonanza in Missouri in the 70`s while stationed there with the Army. No more pen raised for me, thanks.

Interested in hearing everyone's favorite shotgun. Manufacture, model and gauge.
Since my gun dog has developed some health issues I didn't get out with my scatter gun last year and probably won't until she passes and I decide to get another.
My favorite shotgun depends on what and where I am hunting but my absolute favorite is my Franchi AL 48 in 20 gauge.
Looking forward to hearing your favorite.
I inherited my dad's Fox Sterlingsworth from 1916, at least that's what is stamped on it. He got it from a Western Auto store in north central Pennsylvania around 1960 for $85.00. He used it a lot, I have used it a lot, I reload so I load safely for it. 12ga, 2 3/4in, 30inch side by side, modified & full. It fits me perfectly and has accounted for more rabbits than I can count. It points so naturally, it is also deadly at the trap range and I have won several turkeys with is at local turkey shoots.

I inherited my dad's Fox Sterlingsworth from 1916, at least that's what is stamped on it. He got it from a Western Auto store in north central Pennsylvania around 1960 for $85.00. He used it a lot, I have used it a lot, I reload so I load safely for it. 12ga, 2 3/4in, 30inch side by side, modified & full. It fits me perfectly and has accounted for more rabbits than I can count. It points so naturally, it is also deadly at the trap range and I have won several turkeys with is at local turkey shoots.
$85 was a lot of money in 1960 but it is a Fox Sterlingsworth and sounds like a beautiful family heirloom.

I have an old 58 that my uncle used to take hunting in Northern Cali (Tule Lake,Goose Lake and Klamath region) in the 60's and 70's. I cut the barrel down for a self defense house gun. A couple years later started feeling guilty about it and rounded up a couple replacement barrels to make it good again.
May I ask where you found the barrel's for the model 58? Not sure if someone makes a aftermarket.
I'm asking because I was asked to sell my model 58 16 gauge last week but after pulling it out of the safe I realized how much I like it and decided I want to keep it. But I had shortened the barrel after purchasing it.
Thanks for any leads that you may have.

Interested in hearing everyone's favorite shotgun. Manufacture, model and gauge.
Since my gun dog has developed some health issues I didn't get out with my scatter gun last year and probably won't until she passes and I decide to get another.
My favorite shotgun depends on what and where I am hunting but my absolute favorite is my Franchi AL 48 in 20 gauge.
Looking forward to hearing your favorite.
Winchester Model 12 in 20 & 16 gauge. They always work.

I'm a Benelli guy, my SBE 2 is 20 years old and on its 2nd cerakote job, it has seenjust about any kind of harsh condition you could think of. I've also got several old 870 Wingmasters that are tried and true as well. I'd pick the Benelli if I could only have 1.

Recent Posts