new shotgun

justgoharder

I know there is tons of info on many other forums all over the web. However, I'm really not a fan of most other forums, this is my favorite!

So I'm looking to get a new shotgun; looking for a semi-auto, at least 3" chamber I don't know that I 'need' 3.5" but it'd be nice cause you never know - maybe I'll become a long range goose hunter!!! I want a gun that I can shoot clays and some water foul (the last couple years I have spent about 3-5days doing each), but most of the time I'll carry the gun up and down steep mtns. in colorado wandering around trying to find some blue grouse.

any ideas? personally suggestions? guns to stay away from? etc..?

thanks in advance!

grouse gun...

my personal preference for grouse is a lightweight over/under 410. grouse dont take much killing and are not very spookey....they will usually sit on the ground and let you walk right up to them. a couple yrs back i did a side by side comparison with a benelli, a beretta, and the cheapo charles daly from walmart. all 20 ga autoaloders.....i preferred the charles daly.....

a 3" 20 gauge is not giving up much to a 12 ga. that is what i have used for yrs hunting pheasants. unless you are doing a lot of goose hunting thats what i would get. AJ

3" 12 gauge and never look back. I bought a Remington 1100 SP Magnum in 1986, and it has been flawless ever since. I like shorter barrels that swing faster, so mine has a 26" barrel, with the rem choke setup. The 20 gauge is adequate, but given the use of steel, or other highly expensive alternatives, I think the 20 is a little light. Also, put a sling on your shotgun, they make carrying decoys soo much easier.

For geese a Browning Gold with 3 1/2 inches chambers is very effective. However, 1 7/8 oz of hevi shot will give you an instant headache. The gun is heavy and slow which tracks a goose well.

I would not recommend it for carrying up a mountain and trying to hit a grouse. As was mentioned, a light 20 ga with three inch chambers and 1 1/4 ounce loads does not give up much to a 12 gauge.

My opinion is get a dedicated goose and turkey gun and then get another shorter and faster gun for grouse and chukar. I have a a 11-87 20 gauge with three inch chambers that is pretty nice for birds and an older SKB 20 that is very very nice for birds.

Well, it won't be "new", but if you can find a 3" 1100, you can swap out barrels easily, and they won't cost an arm and a leg.

I know a waterfowler that goes down to Arkansas every year and the guides treat their guns rough - throw them in the back of the truck uncased, and they sit there 'till the next day. They prefer Beretta autoloaders, even over the Benelli, but I've never shot one so I can't say for sure.

I have a 3" 1100, and put a Stan Baker "Big Bore" barrel on it. It really groups the larger shot sizes tight, and the extra velocity with less perceived recoil is a plus as well.

As you probably know, gun fit is the most important aspect of shotgun shooting.

Good luck with your search! Let us know what you settle on.

Last edited:
This is like using a 223 for everthing from PD's to Cape buffalo

A 410 would be great for grouse but not for turkeys or geese.

You will need two shotguns for this type of shooting.

My favorite type of shotgun is the over and under but for an
all out *** kicker and name taker as Essnup suggested I would
recomend the Xtrema 3 1/2 By Beretta for several reasons,

As Essnup mentioned they shoot when nothing else will and they
were purpose biult for 3 1/2" inch shells (Not a modified 3" as others
did ) and best of all they will shoot all sizes of shells from 1oz trap
loads to 3 1/2" -2 1/4oz turkey loads with out changing springs
or pistons .

I went looking for a waterfowl shotgun that would also double as
a turkey gun and having hunted in arkansas with the same kind of
hunters that treated theirs rough (Like walking in 4 or 5 feet of water
with the shotgun slung over there sholder and half under water) and
still function every time.

They all said for this type of hunting only a Beretta semi auto or an 870
wingmaster pump would not let you down.

So I bought one and proceeded to test the different shells in it and they
were right I loaded mixed shells 2 3/4 dove, 1 3/8oz-2 3/4 duck loads,
3" 1 5/8oz high vellocity , 3" 1 7/8 oz turkey, 3 1/2" heavy shot,3" 2 1/4oz
turkey and all sizes of buck shot and the **** thing did not fail to eject
and feed all.

The only thing I noticed was that when I shot the trap and dove loads
I could hear the action work but could not hear anything when shooting
the heavy loads.

I still use an over and under for dove, quail, grouse, pheasant ,etc. but when
I go duck,goose, turkey and in some cases where the land owner doesent allow
rifles, Deer and hogs I will allways carry the beretta and a mixed bag of shells.

Sorry to be so long winded
J E CUSTOM

This is like using a 223 for everthing from PD's to Cape buffalo

A 410 would be great for grouse but not for turkeys or geese.

Sorry to be so long winded
J E CUSTOM

you can't kill a cape buffalo with a .223rem? ;)

thanks for all the responses!

I've already got a 870 wingmaster - its from the early '80s (i think), so it is only chambered for 2.75" shells. I've also got a 20ga/.223rem overunder, its not a great gun (cheap) but it works for what it is designed to do.

I guess i should have been a bit more specific, I'm looking for a semi on the high end of shell size since i don't have anything bigger than a 2 3/4" 12ga. But i want a semi that I could put a target load in and shoot some clays or put a light 3dram load in it to kill some grouse. cause even though the 20ga/.223 would do a better job, if i buy a new shotgun you know I'm gonna use it every chance i get!!!

I'm thinking benelli SBE 2 or the Berreta xtrema2, any ideas between the two or a third option that is similar?

thanks again!!!

I was able to get out and shoot a SBE 2, a berreta al391, and also a browning gold 3.5"

I liked the benelli and the browning the best. the browning cycled much much fast than the SBE and was $500 less however the comb isn't adjustable and the gun just didn't fit me very well so there was no way I was gonna buy a new gun that didn't fit. So I went with the SBE 2!

Got out today and shot some clays, and wow! very happy with the new gun!

The SBE II was a good pick. You may want to stick with using 1-1/8 loads for trap and skeet. The SBE will sometimes have a hard time with anything under 1-1/8 loads.

after 400+ rounds with the new shotgun an update...

It definitely has a little bit more recoil than gas driven semi's, this doesn't bother me too much though, i think of it as training for my .338edge! ;)

so far I haven't had any cycling issues, for target shooting I've been using cheap 3dram #8 shot that I bought a couple years ago at walmart for less than it costs me to reload my own shotshells. I have fired a box and a half of 3.5" BB loads through it, again with no cycling problems what so ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts