shotgun help

jmeier1981

Ok I have an 11-87 that I use for slug hunting deer and would like to know if theres anything that I can do to improve my downrange accuracy? Ive asked this question before and was told to have my barrel pinned. What exactly does this mean, how does it help and is it a permenant alteration. Since the 11-87 is gas operated theres a chance that the barrel might have to be removed at some time. Are there any other mods that can be done, does anyone make a muzzle break for 12gauges, might help for quicker follow up shots, thanks in advance
progress.gif

First off, what kind of accuracy are you looking for? Fully rifled barrel or just rifled choke tube? What kind of sights? Cantelivered mount or other? What scope do you have if scoped?

Please describe what your resting the gun on when shooting for groups, and what your technique is for holding the gun.

Once those questions are answered, I can fine tune my answer.

Slug guns are a lot like .22LR. They can be very picky about what they like or dislike. I've got a Tar-Hunt, and even that gun has it's likes and dislikes. I have shot a LOT of slugs thru it, and have come to some general conclusions about the ammo that we buy from the store.

For my gun, I even went to the extent of buying the same lot ammo once I found something that it liked. I have enough of that lot to last for at least 10 years, maybe more.:D

First off, what kind of accuracy are you looking for? Fully rifled barrel or just rifled choke tube? What kind of sights? Cantelivered mount or other? What scope do you have if scoped?

Please describe what your resting the gun on when shooting for groups, and what your technique is for holding the gun.

Once those questions are answered, I can fine tune my answer.

Slug guns are a lot like .22LR. They can be very picky about what they like or dislike. I've got a Tar-Hunt, and even that gun has it's likes and dislikes. I have shot a LOT of slugs thru it, and have come to some general conclusions about the ammo that we buy from the store.

For my gun, I even went to the extent of buying the same lot ammo once I found something that it liked. I have enough of that lot to last for at least 10 years, maybe more.:D

It has a fully rifled cantilever remington barrel, with a busnell holosight. Im shooting remington buckhammers through it in a caldwell leadsled, and it generally will put 5 shots inside a 6" circle at 100yds. Ive tried SST's cause they shot best in my old 1100 but the buckhammers shoot better and hit a ton harder. My buddy has basically the same set up only with a stoger autoloader and i can shoot 100yd groups through it with three shots touching, same slugs both with holosights and cantilever rifled barrels

There ya go, you just need to get a Stoeger!:D

Just kidding.

It looks like you'll be spending a lot of $$ on shells. Buy a box of everything and shoot them, paying attention to the lot # on the box. In fact, when you buy the shells, check other boxes there to see if they have the same lot # on them. That way when you find one that shoots good in your gun you can go back to the store and buy a butt load of them and your problem will be solved.

Before someone says the lot # won't make a difference, I have solid evidence that it will, especially with the SST's.

Here's what I found for MY Tar-Hunt. I was trying different slugs and so was a buddy in his 11-87. I had 2 boxes of SST's (same lot #) that shot 1 1/2" group @ 100 and 4" group @ 200. That was the best grouping slug for my gun and my buddy found that the Remington's grouped the same as lightfields in his gun, with the Remington having a flatter trajectory.

Anyway, I had bought those at a Cabelas that is 1 1/4 hr. drive from the house. The local wally world had the same SST's (different lot) and was only 10 minutes away. So, I drove to Wally World and bought 2 more boxes. They shot like crap! 6" group @ 100 Yds. There was one more store that was somewhat close that had SST's as well, so I went there and bought 2 more boxes, different lot # than the others that I shot. Same results. So, I bit the bullet, and drove to Cabelas, taking the box flap with me to get the same lot #. I ended up purchasing a bunch of them, probably enough to last 10 years. They shot as good as teh first 2 boxes, so I'm set. What I heard was that Hornady has a couple of different loading machines, and one seems to give much better accuracy than the others.

With that said, I have never had any luck trying to get 3" 12 ga. magnum slugs to shoot.

Good luck! At least you won't be getting beat up with having a Lead Sled.

It has a fully rifled cantilever remington barrel, with a busnell holosight. Im shooting remington buckhammers through it in a caldwell leadsled, and it generally will put 5 shots inside a 6" circle at 100yds. Ive tried SST's cause they shot best in my old 1100 but the buckhammers shoot better and hit a ton harder. My buddy has basically the same set up only with a stoger autoloader and i can shoot 100yd groups through it with three shots touching, same slugs both with holosights and cantilever rifled barrels

All things being equal the barrel fit on the 1187 or any removable barrel shotgun is the weak link. If you dont have the barrel fitted make sure you crank down on the barrel nut before trying a bunch of different slugs. I have seen several guns come back from Tar Hunt after having the barrel fitted and accuracy improved greatly. I had an 870 that would two group if I didn't keep the barrel extra tight.

I was raised on slug guns.Like the man said if you find a slug that shoots good.Stick to it.Thet are worse than women.Thank god we can use rifle now.I spent a lot of money.Just to find out wat slug mine and my wifes would shoot.Her browning gold 20ga.Dead center 2 shoots 3rd 1/2 inch off.With Winchester partision gold.My brn Gold 12 ga ssts 3 inch circle at 100 yrds.

Go to the DNR website and read the new proposed regs. They want to modify the regs to allow the .460 S&W which I think is fine. What I don't agree with is them shortening both the firearm season, the muzzleloader season and tossing in a 2 day firearms season in the middle of the first bow season. We stand to lose almost 2 weeks of hunting if you don't hunt in an area that has an overabundance of deer. All under under the guise of "reducing the herd".

I feel that the week of firearms season that they want to add at the end of the year in counties that have 4 or more bonus anterless deer permits will increase the buck harvest of bucks that have already dropped their antlers. My feeling is that if you are out there shooting meat for the freezer, you are going to shoot a larger doe vs. a smaller one. I've shot 2 bucks that have already dropped their antlers in previous years, thinking they were does. I think it's counterproductive when they have a one buck/year rule.

With the improvements in 20 ga slugs, I would have gone that route instead of the 12 ga that I have now.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts