Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

444 marlin with a 265 grain hornady.
35 whelen with a 225 grain sierra.
Both work real well. No lost porkers.
I'd like to find one of the older Marlin 444's with pistol grip stock for a reasonable price. The few locally that I've seen advertised must have had silver or gold inside of them for the prices being asked.

Since remington has made a mess out of a once great rifle. The price of the jm's has went thru the roof. Just 5 years ago you could pick up a nice marlin for way under 400.00 dollars. 444's have not been made to my knowledge since the marlin buyout.

AR 10 308 168 grain Barnes TTSX BT. Pass troughs with great blood trails and they don't go far.
IMG_2554.JPG

Last edited:
243AI, 100gn Hornady Interlock at 3200ps.
With this pill, they don´t walk a foot.
Allways with an exit hole
243ai.jpg 243aiB.jpg

Last edited:
Many of those mentioned are good with head shots. Think of Hogs as the thickest skinned animal you'll ever shoot. I shot a 250lb sow with 338Win. mag. behind shoulder with 200 grain Hdy soft point (standard copper jacketed bullet) and did not get an exit wound. I changed my loads to Nosler partitions. The key matter is the bullet choice. Barnes and Partitions are good penetrators. Use the most powerful rifle you have. If you plan to purchase; you can't go wrong with 338 WM. Good for anything on this continent. Remember though, the bullet.

Many of those mentioned are good with head shots. Think of Hogs as the thickest skinned animal you'll ever shoot. I shot a 250lb sow with 338Win. mag. behind shoulder with 200 grain Hdy soft point (standard copper jacketed bullet) and did not get an exit wound. I changed my loads to Nosler partitions. The key matter is the bullet choice. Barnes and Partitions are good penetrators. Use the most powerful rifle you have. If you plan to purchase; you can't go wrong with 338 WM. Good for anything on this continent. Remember though, the bullet.
Which " soft point" from Hornady did you use?

Heres one I harvested today with my LWRC 300 Blackout using Hornady FTX projectile Check out that exit wound!View attachment 141473
How do you like your LWRC? I already have a solid 300 BO SBR but i'm looking at getting an AR10 platform rifle again specifically for hog hunting and will likely throw a Thermal on it eventually or swap between that and a 1-8 LPVO.

Lookin at Larue, LWRC, LMT and SCAR 17s

How do you like your LWRC? I already have a solid 300 BO SBR but i'm looking at getting an AR10 platform rifle again specifically for hog hunting and will likely throw a Thermal on it eventually or swap between that and a 1-8 LPVO.

Lookin at Larue, LWRC, LMT and SCAR 17s

Im am really enjoying my Ar15 LWRC DI 300 Blackout. It is accurate and dependable

Id consider a AR 10 rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly 308 win but Ive got to sell a few rifles first

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.