Favorite platform for hunting hogs?

testlight

I was thinking of a rifle that would ride around in the truck and on four wheelers and stuff.
Not so much one that you would hunt with from a stand or blind.

That's what I've always hunted with. But my setup weighed 14 pounds scoped and slung. I got tired of lugging that weight around, so I built a light weight sbr chambered in 6.8 SPC II. It's a hog killing machine.

As for tripod. I have a pile of them. Finally found a lightweight one with the clamps instead of twist tight legs. This in my favorite very solid. I may have a sale on the other 7 or so expensive ones I've tried and always found an issue.

Attachments

• EC780A80-1D08-478B-8AF0-9AB2DDD466EF.jpeg
    EC780A80-1D08-478B-8AF0-9AB2DDD466EF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
I use a similar setup as Ed. I've got an aluminum man grotto tripod with a reaper grip. It's is dead stable and accurate. The longest shots I've attempted are 200 yards on hogs and have lots of one shot shot kills.
It's crazy how good I can shoot off a setup like that. I could probably do well over 400 but that all my range allows me to practice and 400 is easy.

I was thinking of a rifle that would ride around in the truck and on four wheelers and stuff.
Not so much one that you would hunt with from a stand or blind.

You seem to be asking about two different things from the thread title and how you want to use it.

So you want a truck/4 wheeler rifle? I think your best option would be a shorter barreled bolt action, say 16" and in a goodly sized caliber such as .308. The reason why I am suggesting a bolt gun is that truck guns tend to end up being a bit neglected and a bolt gun isn't nearly as dependent on proper lubrication or suffering from a dirty action than semi-autos. So it will be more reliable under worse circumstances, which is a good thing. It will also tend to be a less expensive option. With a polymer stock and short barrel, it will tend to be very light and handy as well.

I run a 16" 300 Hamr that I assembled myself. Short, light, and extremely accurate but you do need to be a hand loader to get the full potential.

Recent Posts