Florida for hunting Hogs

Waynzee

So, my nephew has invited to hunt hogs in Florida he lives in Spring Hill and said there is state land to hunt hogs on and you don't need a license. He is looking in on the regulations, how many you can take, what kind of firearm is allowed ect.. Question is any of you fellas hunt hogs in Florida ? Maybe you could give some advice or have personal experience. Would like to take my AR 15.

I have hog hunted in Florida every year for the past eight sometimes twice a year.
First your ar would be fine I've killed many with mine bullet choice is key. Nosler partion has been the best followed by razor back xt or Barnes. Cheapest ammo that works well is federal fusion. As far as trying to see hogs. If you can get him to bait a few weeks before you go it will really help your chances. The earlier he can bait the better and return every week and do it again. I like the post hole baiting (i.e. Dig a hole and fill with corn so they have to dig for it. By make sure you over bait the first time so they an smell it. Should be fun good luck.

I live in PA but come down to FL for about 3 months over the winter. Not sure about the no license issue on state land, all the state lands around here have seasons and you must buy a license. Now private lands are another matter and are as you stated. You can hunt year round and no license required as they are considerd as pest/vermin.

A couple of us lease private ground, that in itself was tough to find. Between us we have killed probably 40+ using 270's and 308's. I just bought a 6.8 SPC in an AR to use next year. Hogs are like any other game in that you stick a good bullet in the right spot and you bag em, hit em wrong and they disappear in the bushes, and where we hunt you probably are not going to want to crawl on your hands and knees in the brush to find them.

Study their anatomy as the vitals are farther forward and lower in their chest than typical hoofed game. An AR in 223 will certainly get the job done but I feel your choice of bullet and placement is more critical for clean kills.

No hunting license needed to hunt pigs here but on state land you'll at least need a management area permit. Myfwc.com will have everything you need to know. Ar will be fine, any centerfire 22 or above is legal for deer, etc here. They're not as invincible as people make them out to be, we've leveled packs of them at a time with ar's on our leases. Like anything else shot placement is key as said before. Good luck, have fun and kill as many as you can.
The only advice I would give to a first timer is if you are hunting from the ground they will charge on occasion. Theyre sight isn't very good, if you shoot one in a pack a lot of the time the rest will hide in the nearest patch of grass or palmetto and just stand there thinking you can't see them. Those are the dirty bastards that like to charge when you walk over to pick up your prize. A revolver wouldn't be a bad idea for a side arm.
The injured will charge and sows with younguns will too, I had one ram a dent into my new chevy with its head a few years back.. baiting isn't legal on state land and they're sense of smell is great, if hunting without dogs a treestand near swamp edges or fresh rooting at dusk is a good bet. They'll be making they're way back to the thickets in the mornings usually. If you can find good travel paths through some cypress or oak scrub oak swamps they'll be passing through all day. Good luck and have fun!

A couple of tips. Take your time and shoot them in the head or neck. If wounded you could spend hours upon hours of your hunt looking in some very nasty cover and still never find him. If they are still moving after the first shot do not hesitate shoot them again. They are tough and likely to get up and run.

I go every year to hog heaven by fort Meyers. Super nice guy very hard to get ahold of sometimes but we always have a good time. I've had other friends go and not like it but he always treats me righ and everyone always gets hogs for a decent price.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.