Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

I have been eyeballing that Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 PRC. I was going to go with the Win Mag until I read about the PRC a few days ago. Like I said, I'm new to all this modern long range stuff.
The advantage of the 300 PRC is more efficient and beltless. Mags with belted cases size off of the belt instead of the shoulder of the case. More precise case sizing on the unbelted mag. The 300 PCR supposedly is faster than the 300 ultra mag with less powder.

The advantage of the 300 PRC is more efficient and beltless. Mags with belted cases size off of the belt instead of the shoulder of the case. More precise case sizing on the unbelted mag. The 300 PCR supposedly is faster than the 300 ultra mag with less powder.

My main interest comes from a few aspects.

The case is designed to allow longer heavier higher BC bullets to be used without them being seated down in the powder charge.

The barrel and action are designed to a stricter tolerance. When you chamber a round there is very little side to side wiggle room once the bolt locks down and it is ready to be fired. Apparently from what I read it is a much tighter fit than the 300 win mag.

The rifle I want comes with a 9" twist which apparently will stabilize the longer heavier round better.

Like I keep saying, I'm new to all of this, but I am reading a lot and learning fast.

When I saw the difference in BC between my 06 and a high quality 180g bthp and these 230g match rounds that I can use in the 300 prc I was blown away.

I know this is a 'Long Range' forum, but here in Fla. there is about a 5% chance of shooting farther than about 200 yds. They would have to be in an open field or power line right of way. Most woods areas you can't see much over 100 to 150 yds. The vast majority of hogs are shot at 75 yds. or less. Hunting a feeder, take that to 30 to 50yds. Placement trumps everything, but use enough gun to punch thru with an exit. I have used .300 Weatherby, Ruger American in 30-06, Rem. 700 SS in .270 Win., but my go-to rifle is a Rem. 760 BDL pump in .30-06. Use different ammo on a whim, but 165 gr. Core-Lokt or Fed. Fusion usually gets the nod. I shoot the neck at the body juncture, or head juncture. DRT no trailing a ****ed off hog in the thick stuff. One thing I always give props to is the scopes I use, Leupold VX-R 30mm tube in 2x7 or 3x9, with the Firedot reticle, a 1 MOA LED dot at the crosshairs junction. At dawn or dusk you can lose black crosshairs on a black pig in dim light. The small Firedot stands out clear as day, and you can adjust the brightness to not overpower your view. The 760 has a 2x7, the other 3 rifles have 3x9.

I know this is a 'Long Range' forum, but here in Fla. there is about a 5% chance of shooting farther than about 200 yds. They would have to be in an open field or power line right of way. Most woods areas you can't see much over 100 to 150 yds. The vast majority of hogs are shot at 75 yds. or less. Hunting a feeder, take that to 30 to 50yds.

If these were my conditions I would go with an easy handling AR rifle in 7.62 coupled with the Leupold DEVO and the Leupold LCO. It gives you a no magnification red dot sight and a 6x scope that you can use simultaneously. It only requires a 6 degree shift in eye focus. You never have to break your cheek weld on the rifle. This could be super advantageous on those times that a hog loses his mind and comes straight toward you after the first shot.

This is a cool video that shows exactly how the system works. Its pretty ingenious.

94E649DA-013B-46A4-88D0-748C99001D68.jpeg
Took this one with my Seekins Havak Pro Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.

As you can see, there are lots of opinions so you will have to rely on choosing based on your hunting conditions. There is no doubt that almost any well placed bullet will kill hogs, the issue becomes how far they can run once shot, and if they can get lost.

We have lots of hogs in Texas and most of us have many years of experience with them. For my type of hunting there is a range of cartridges that always work and drop them where they stand. I have found that 6.5 to 6.8 is about the smallest that is effective in all conditions, The two ARs that I built specifically for hogs are a 6.8 and a 450 bushmaster. both are very good for running targets, anything above these cartridges work well in bolt action rifles. the other dedicated hog rifle is a 7 STW loaded to max that is a real hammer at extended distance and also for mutable kills with one shot. Where we hunt they only have 10 to 20 yards to run before they are out of site so we like to line them up and take as many as possible with the one shot we get.

We are working on a 300 RUM loaded with 30 cal AP bullets that should really do the job.

J E CUSTOM

.223 most of the time since it's handy with Wicked light on it most of the time. Covert cam down at my feeder, walk out back door and let-um-have-it. Have hog problem here in my area so gut shoot most large sow's.

My handgun is either a 454 Casull, or my 460 Rowland built by Clark Custom almost 7 years ago. For rifles, I shoot an older M70 in 308, and my HS in 300 WM for long range head shots !

Buddy and i getting into night time hunting are both doing 12.5" grendel builds. 123gr SST at 2300 seems to do the trick considering the ranges we'll be shooting. Also moderately cheap. Took this bore with a 8.3" 300blk with 110gr Vmax at 2050fps though it was close.
IMG_0791.JPG

20191030_213149.jpg

My newest Franklin-ar...parts from all over.

7.62x39 16" SS BCA that shoots .5 MOA at 200 yards with my hand loads. Dual charge upper, Essential Arms lower, chassis trigger, Osprey piston gas system. Top that off with a brand new ATN X - Sight HD 3x15 Day/Night scope. Out front my newest toy Rebel Arm SOS Hunter suppressor!

Kind of hope the hogs come by this weekend...Texas general season opens this weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.