Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

I have resident feral hogs on my farm and kill them as vermin as they are very destructive. I usually carry a POF AR in .223 anytime I'm out. I shot a few with 62 gr solids and usually lost them in the brush if no head shot. I switched to a POF AR in .308 and Federal or Winchester cheap "white box" 150 gr. This combination kills, kills, kills. Better ammunition will help if you are using smaller calibers, but in .308 it doesn't matter. My hogs are near brush so long shots are rare but there are often several at a time so fast followup shots are a must. I hate them, but they are fun to kill.

We have taken more hogs with a 22 magnum than most people are unfortunate enough to have to deal with. They are a major nuisance here. Shoot until you rot, and you can't hurt the populations in this thick brush. Many landowners have resorted to illegally poisoning them, because of the difficulty in controlling their numbers.
I once took a 300# boar at 150ish yards with a 221 fireball..three shots in the head before he finally quit trying to get up. The bullet was so small and so anemic at that distance, that any hit other than in the brain bucket, ended up stunning him.
I prefer my .308 scout rifle with Hornady Amax/sst/gmax.
We have probably killed more with an ar15 in 6.8spc (hornady sst)than any other weapon we have used (save for an old marlin 22 magnum). They are just as dead with a 22 magnum bullet in their brain, as they are with a 250gr lapua scenar from a .338 Lapua. I can attest to both ends of the spectrum, and many in between.

Normally when I go out on the farm I usually carry a simple 16" AR-15 carbine in 223 with 55s or 53s and a variable power scope. If I see small hogs 100 to 150 lbs, I will shoot them with no problem.

If I see big hogs, like up to 600# I will bring the 358 MGP loaded with 200s Rem RN with me. Things shot, just stay shot with that round (6.8 necked up to 358).
Ed

5EBEA8FE-6294-4910-88CB-F10750097CDE.jpeg
300BO/TAC30/358 MGP

Custom AR 15 I built with a thermal scope in 6.5 Grendel 123gr. Hornady SST's.View attachment 130076 [View attachment 130079
Both were shot at 125yds. The red one was shot in the shoulder. That SST went clean through both shoulders and left an exit wound the size of a quarter so I would imagine that bullet stayed completely intact. He went 25 yards. The black one was shot below the ear and hit the dirt. I really can't say enough for the performance of those SST's. Especially blasting through both armored shoulders of the red one.

Maaaaan!! You've killed more pigs than I've eaten in bacon or other pork products. Yeah, not the same-same but you catch my drift.
Based on just the little I've read here in the subject, it would surely seem that there is an overabundance of porkers ransacking parts of the country and those areas are in need of serious culling of those critters.
If I may ask, and mainly my question is aimed at (no pun intended) the more prolific hog hunters out there, but WTH are you doing with all those animals?!? Do you actually harvest them for personal use or donate them to various charities or......?
I'm NOT being judgmental, trust me. I'm honestly JEALOUS that you lucky SOB's get to hunt that many animals.
I'm no longer able to hunt myself, short of exterminating prairie dog towns from one place due to physical limitations and disabilities from the military, but, BOY HOWDY! I'd sure like to help some rancher or farmer with their eradication needs.
Yeah, color me jealous, Fellers.
Overnout

Easy to kill lots of them when you see 30 or so at dang near every feeder, when you pull up to or as you climb into your stand! A lot of times, they will come in and just lay down and wait, 20 minutes before the feeders go off. Been dealing with large numbers of them for the last 40 years, both on farms here in FL, and on our hunting leases in central south TX. Kill lots of them just waiting for them to cross fields. Hogs from TX are definitely better eating than our hogs here in FL and GA, though the large boars end up as dog food or fertilizer, no matter where they're from.

B7A4D928-258A-4A79-8DE6-EA07EAFA4711.jpeg
We no longer have the option for semi auto AR10's here in the U.K. if we did that would be high on my list so I'm currently using one of two rifles depending on how I'm hunting.
The wild boar tend to go fairly large here, the last 2 I took were well over 200lb so I tend to hit em quite hard. If I'm shooting from a stand or blind I use my M700 300WinMag using Sierra 220gr round nose, they're an absolute hammer or if I'm walking the woods I use my 1895 in 444 Marlin with 265 FTX's, again they don't like that.

I've never been, but a friend of mine uses a 30-06 with 150gr core lokt bullets. I figure that when I do go it will probably be with a 280 and 140 ttsx.

Hey :)
This probably isn't that relevant to the type of hog hunting your talking about, but I literally just got back in from shooting this thing and saw your question so thought I would throw up the clip.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.