Favorite gun and cartridge for hogs?

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
Custom built AR15 6.8spc Hornady 120gr SST. Works well on hogs and coyotes.

I'm really interested in a hog hunt, thus I'm reading this thread. Any suggestions about outfitters on the mid-east coast? My brother went on a hog hunt many years ago, took one with a S&W 44mag handgun with open sights.

What is your favorite rifle and cartridge (including bullet, weight and type) for hog hunting?

I tried looking through the older posts but didn't see this asked or really answered in the different threads.
I have a three gun battery for different purposes. I did hog control on 55,000 acres for three years. When I wasnt doing that work I was going for fun on different places to help out. For long range I carried a Remington Sendero in 7mm Ultra mag. For getting close or follow up in the brush I built a super light 18" barreled 7x57 on an old '93 action with a scout scope setup and 160gr roundnose. I killed a lot of hogs with that gun at various ranges. The everyday front seat gun was an FN PBR in 308 with the 18" barrel. It was handy enough in a vehicle and long enough to get good ballistics from the .308 cartridge. Only drawback of the PBR was the stupid 1-12 twist. If it was a 1-10 I'd still own it. I did have one trip to a nearby peanut farm that was just crazy. The foreman had an old jeep Cherokee with no doors and the roof was cut open with padding to guard the sharp edges. He had lights installed all the way around the jeep. He'd drive the county roads blacked out wearing NVGs. If he saw a herd...down through the ditch he'd go hell bent for leather. As soon as we were into the pigs he'd flip on the lights and we would blaze away. I used an AR in 7.62x39 that night with an Aimpointand firing the 154gr Hirtenberger softpoint. That ammo is superb. The combo netted me 26 of the biggest fattest bunch of hogs I'd ever seen. The others guys in the truck also shot into the 20s. Great fun was had by all.

I have a similar set up. Have you tried shooting suppressed sub sonic? wondering how they respond when their buddies start going down.
I got some of the Hornady subsonic rounds, but I haven't shot anything with them yet. They are in the cabinet waiting to be used. I plan on trying them out this year on deer and hogs.

Custom AR 15 I built with a thermal scope in 6.5 Grendel 123gr. Hornady SST's.
20160529_115354.jpg
[
!cid__741FA26E5301264CA77A29F93F44CFF1@sct-15-1-789-14-msonline-outlook-ade8c.jpg

My favourite hog gun is a Remington Rolling Block in 45-70. It is fun to experience the adjustment needed with the vernier tang sight for the longer yardages. Unfortunately my old eyes don't see past 400 yards anymore but heck I don't have many open fields longer than that around here anyway.

For me My Sauer202 .308 with TTSX 130gr or the Sauer202 8,5x63Reb with TTSX 185gr or Hornady 200grSST in case i Hunt at corn or rape

Like all hunting situations, it depends on the type of hunting you are doing what weapon or caliber is practical - long range, close heavy brush, stand hunting, hunting farm fields, whatever.
Used a weapon you are familiar with that is fairly heavy hitting.
I have hunted with 44Mag and 45LC pistols on foot in the South Texas brush; 300 Savage, 243, and 270 in the Texas Hill Country; and 280, 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06 in the Panhandle and Western plains of Texas. I have taken several with a bow and with muzzle loaders.
It is all situational.
Shoot what you got, what is appropriate for the area and style, and (Most Important) what you are comfortable with.
It can be a very challenging hunt.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

243AI using Hornady Interlock 100gn at 3250ps. (26" 1:8 twist)
Amazing killer.
The bigger the hog, the better the bullet behavior.
I have hunted more than 50, and none walked one step. Maximum distance 107y.
Have hunted them for many years, with 308, 300winmag, 9,3x62 and so on.
243ai the best choice. Speed kills....

Attachments

• 20180525_113628.jpg
    20180525_113628.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.