Favorite Antelope cartridge

Did you end up making your decision yet? If so what'd you get? If this is for antelope only, dedicated, I really see no point in some of the recommendations here (the big 7s come to mind). They're tiny, thin skinned, small boned creatures. They have massive lungs and hearts and cover a stupid amount of ground in a hurry. Something fast and frangible to destroy as much lung as possible if that's the shot you take, and light enough to really meet some resistance and properly come apart/open up violently on impact. Even with frangible type bullets I suspect the heavy, high bc bullets in 7mm and 300 might for the most part just punch through on a broadside hit. In any case, unnecessary and i doubt in any way more emphatic. Of course, if you ever use this for other game I withdraw all of that as the 7s and 30s are the kings of all purpose versatility. It may not be the highest performance round (or an option in your rifle model) but if you wanted to "do this right" it seems most appropriate, nostalgic, and perhaps reverent to hunt pronghorns with a 25-06.

Calvin, big 7's work well on antelope... I've never killed one with anything else, in fact. I've used 140 sierra's and 140 nos ab's. I wouldn't mind trying my kid's 6.5 creed on one, but getting a tag here lately has been an issue.

Calvin, big 7's work well on antelope... I've never killed one with anything else, in fact. I've used 140 sierra's and 140 nos ab's. I wouldn't mind trying my kid's 6.5 creed on one, but getting a tag here lately has been an issue.

I have no doubt at all that they work great, and come to think of it I realize the idea of heavier bullets needing to hit lots of resistance is kind of nullified by the plastic tipped, thin jacketed bullets. Wasn't trying to discourage their use, just saying that if the only thing being hunted ever was going to be pronghorn their power level is not required. I have no beef with "overkill" though, it beats the alternative. I hunt whitetail with a .300 win mag so I'd be a hypocrite if i did.

Nothing like thumping bambie with your favorite 30... I never know how windy it will be or what my range will be hunting public land in N.D., so I go with the bigger to biggest stick every time. Ever shoot a prairie dog with a 375??;)

My wife used a 7mm-08 with 140 accubond and has an antelope kill at 530 yards. This year we switched her to a 6.5 cm. With the higher bc 140 grain bullets will extend her range another 150 yards. And yes she is more than capable of a 600 plus yard shot

Nothing like thumping bambie with your favorite 30... I never know how windy it will be or what my range will be hunting public land in N.D., so I go with the bigger to biggest stick every time. Ever shoot a prairie dog with a 375??;)
I have not but a man can dream. My friend did just acquire a .375 hh. Good ideas here. I have headshot a beaver from 20 feet away with the .300 and headshot a few grouse with a .30-30.

I shot a couple speed goats with my .300win mag and 215 hybrids last year. Overkill? Yes, but bang flop is nice. Honestly any round that is fast and flat is great. Speed goat only gun I think I'd build either a .243ai or a .257wby mag. A buddy of mine shoots all his with a .223 or .243.

Shot a few goats over the years with just about every new rifle, a guy should get a new rifle every year ;-) The only legal one that has not killed a goat is the 25-06 savage axis, it was bought to kill goats but so far all it likes to shoot is the 75vmax and I sure aint turning that looose on a goat. Its hell on wheels for coyotes and prairie dogs but ?

A wind bucking cartridge/bullet combo with enough energy to get the job done at your maximum hunting distance.

I used a 7STW with a Hornady 162 A-Max. Results at 460yds were even more dramatic then I expected. I had no regrets with my choice..

I've taken a couple dozen antelope with a 22-250, half a dozen with a 6.5cm and 1 with a 7mag. But I don't disagree about the 25-06.

It depends on how you really want to hunt them. I've killed pronghorn with many cartridges and will list them from smallest to largest. 6X47 Rem, .243 Win, .250 Sav, .25-06 Rem, .270 Win, .300 BLK, .300 Sav, .308 Win, .338-06, and .375 Ruger. Some cartridges take more effort than others, but it's always fun to get things done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts