Favorite Cut

My son, grandsons and I always set up an archery camp. Lately my brother has joined us. My wife and I are retired so we spend the entire season in camp. The rest of them are in and out as they can. If we are lucky enough to score an elk, and to be honest I don't know exactly how it is prepared as my son does it. Take a backstrap, soak it in some kind of a brin wrap it in bacon then slow cook it in a treager smoker. We do this while in archery camp. Pick a day when we are going to take a shorter easier hunt. Have a beer or two, (well the grandsons have to settle for root beer), tell each other some lies and eat backstrap. Guaranteed a good time is had by all:)

Best I've ever had was fresh tenderloin of eland cooked over an open fire with no other prep but salt and pepper.

Cool idea for a thread, love to read about the flavours people favor.

I really enjoy wild game and fresh fish, it's not easy to pick a favorite, however some dishes become habit forming (like deer heart stroganoff), and are prized due to the rarity.

For me, hangar steak seared on a hot rock is the pinnacle of rarity. Doesn't really matter the ruminant - so long as it hasn't been poked in the guts. I think it's a good contribution to this thread because the diaphragm can be so much more than a cut for the trim, or worse, gut pile.

Diaphragm by any name is really quite good. Resembles a flank steak, and on wild animals almost has to be filleted out of the connective tissue that surrounds it. It's worth the effort though (even on a small deer) for a tender and juicy texture that can be found nowhere else! If I have the convenience of a real kitchen nearby, it will generally get saved for steak and eggs the next day, but I remember it best salted and seared on a hot rock in the backcountry.

Antelope backstrap. Antelope is my families favorite meat followed closely by elk

I don't have a favorite cut or animal, but do have a favorite preparation for game meat. Sous vide cook it for 4 hours at 128 degrees with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (4:1:1). Finish on a hot grill for a couple minutes. Even the toughest cuts will be tender. It will be rare or med-rare, depending on your grill time.

Love some good old rare elk backstrap. Or antelope or deer or sheep or hog or.... ok basically I'll eat most any game animal out there But honestly my favorite cut is elk sirloin tip cut 1" thick marinated in olive oil a bit of lemon zest, fresh garlic, fresh onion, salt pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar grilled to medium rare.

A close second would be the same cut only marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, and a splash of lime juice grilled to medium rare and served with chimichurri sauce.

I like that much lighter piece of meat in the hind quarter.....nothing added...prefer it to be roasted over open fire and eaten hot....
Backstrap I give away to people if they help pack critters out...
Best piece of meat i can remember was a turkey shot on way to elk camp...stripped it down and roasted over open fire....two people...it didnt take long to disappear......other guys asked about the pile of feathers....just told them the turkey said it was toooooo...coollldd....asked us to eat it....

Young Alaskan moose roast/steak harvested by a group building a remote cabin. It was my first moose and the flavor was/is the best meat I have had. Abundant natural wild taste that I long to experience again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts