Factory 7mm mag ammo--which one ?

milkie62

I have had a post awhile back on rebuilding my 700 7mm mag. I would prefer to start out with a factory ammo before playing with reloads. I will get a couple of boxes of Rem corlocks to get a new scope on paper . Any suggestions on a factory bullet for Elk that anyone is impressed with ?

I know its nothing new or fancy, but I have had great luck with the Swift Scirocco. Remington offers it loaded in their premier line. I have loaded and hunted with it for 20 years always a pass thru. With good expansion.

I have had a post awhile back on rebuilding my 700 7mm mag. I would prefer to start out with a factory ammo before playing with reloads. I will get a couple of boxes of Rem corlocks to get a new scope on paper . Any suggestions on a factory bullet for Elk that anyone is impressed with ?

In Canada we have suffered shortages of everything. the USA has been short and then we get the left overs.

A couple years ago I had a chance to buy a 1990 Kimber of Oregon 7 RM. it was a week before hunting season and I was dieing to try it.

All my 7 mag ammo was loaded and tuned to other rifles so I ran out to the closest big shop to buy some brass. None available.

They had 5 boxes of Barnes with 150 TTSX factory so I bought them all. On my shelf I had an un-opened 4.5-14 VX3 and threw it on and bore sighted it.

Went to the range and it would put 3 shots groups in 0.5" and 5 shot in 0.75 inch at 100 yds with the pencil thin barrel.

Went on the trip and dropped 2 animals.

I have since shot several animals with this load and rifle.

Now I wonder if I should even try to work up a load for this rifle or just feed it factory Barnes?

I know it is only a 1 sample example as it has been decades since I shot factory ammo but it shows just how good it is now.

I have a Mossberg MVP in 223. Factory Hornady cheap stuff will keep 4 shots in about a nickel. I cannot bother reloading when it shoots that good with factory stuff.

I will second Joep17, on the factour Barnes ammo. I have shot the exact load gage just spoke of, in one of my 7mm Mags, as well. Accurate as any handload, and nothing walks away from a TTSX. As far as factory ammo goes, where terminal performance goes, I don't think you can do better, ssnd they are very accurate.
Two years ago, I was so busy, I cvouldnt get near my loading bench, so I bought two boxes off Barnes, 100TTSX, for my 25.06.
Ever thing that fell in the crosshairs, fell down, no tracking.
Just my .02 cents

I went through the same exercise when I had my 7mag custom built a few years back. Rem Core Locks for break in (thourough cleaning between sets of 3), then went with Hornady SST 162gr. They shot so good at 100yds, gave them a try at 200, 300 and 400 and low and behold, I got repeated 3'' groups at 400 yds. I thought that I might not be able to load my own that would shoot that good, but did anyway and it turns out that this gun will really do some amazing things with the right handloads! Anyway, my point here is the Hornady Superformance SST162's were great!

I have used federal premium loaded with the 165 Sierra game King in two different 7 mags and both shot very well with it. The game King bullets work really well on deer and elk.

Nearly 5 years ago, I got my hunting buddy into HSM's 180 Berger and have harvested 1 bull and 2 cow elk with it out of his 7MM RM Weatherby MKV. It might be worth your time to give it a try.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.