Any one shooting factory ammo out of a 7 mag?

jmason

My neighbor just got a 7 mag and doesn't reload. I was wondering if anyone one has any info on some decent shooting factory ammo for a 7 mag?

From my experience with factory rifles and factory ammo, they all shoot different. What works in one rifle may not work in another. And they can change from lot to lot too.

To more directly answer your question... when I was shooting factory ammo out of my M77 7 RM years ago, Fed premium 160 NP's worked very well for me. Usually sub MOA. If I were to pick a factory load to experiment with first today, it would be Fed premium 160 AB's.

-MR

My neighbor just got a 7 mag and doesn't reload. I was wondering if anyone one has any info on some decent shooting factory ammo for a 7 mag?

As stated factory ammo shoots differently in different rifles.

I use to use the federal premium in my 7 RM and then I bought a Sendero in 7 RM and it
did not like the federal ammo and I tried the Hornady Custom and it shot great.

So I would recomend the Hornady and if it did not shoot well then try the federals.

If he finds something that works go back to the same store that he bought it and find
more with the same lot number and get 3 or 4 more boxes and that should last a
long time hunting.

J E CUSTOM

Get some Hornady custom 154 gr interlock or SST. My buddy owns a sporting goods store in East NC where deer hunting it really big. He can't keep this ammo on the shelf. He will sale a case a week. Another brand that really shoots great in almost any caliber is the blue box Federal. My hunting buddy does all the rifle sight in work for my other buddies sporting goods store and this is the ammo that they use if someone does not provide their own. This ammo consistantly shoots good and it is the cheapest.

i rarely shoot factory . however the 139 grain btsp hornady ammo i shot yeterday was less than an inch at 100 yard for 5 shots.

+1 on what MR said. Myself and a hunting buddy have 7mm's. Mine, and older (1982) Rem 700 and his a 2005 Winchester 70. Both w/ 24 in. bbls. and BOTH shoot the Fed. Vital Shok 160 NP at about 3050 fps w/ 3 shots into a quarter and 5 inside an inch. I bought 5 boxes and almost gave up reloading until I started reloading the Berger 168gr. VLD. It shoots 3 shots into .33 at 2850 in my gun. Still, the factory stuff is PLENTY accurate AND fast for my type of hunting elk and deer. Good luck.

Have been trying to zero a T/C Prohunter 7mm Rem Mag barrel with a Burris Signature Select 4X16 for two years. Have went through over 200 rounds and polished barrel with Tetra bore cleaner between shots. Never got anything consistent with this bull barrel! Sent the scope bact to Burris once and they found nothing wrong with it. Had them install Posi Lock at that time. Think I finally found the problem but have not got to shoot it yet. The scope was sliding forward in the rings. Insalled new rings. The best grouping that I have been able to get thusfar was with the Hornady 154 grain Interlock Soft Point. Can't wait to see what this thing will do with a tight scope! On the same frame I can shoot a 1" group with the Pro Hunter T/C .50 caliber barrel at 100 yards using the 250 Grain Yellow Tipped Black Sabot T/C Shockwave. gun)U.S. Army Retired

That is the only reason I am starting to reload! 7mm rem mag. Untill then winchester cheep sh$*. press kit is in the mail.

I don't reload at all, and found that Winchester Power Points have worked well in all my guns. Tikka, Sako, Howa and I use 150gr in my Rem 700 7 mag. I am putting 3 rounds inside a penny at 100 yards.

Hornady 154gr Interbonds, put 5 shots under an inch with my Ruger M77 MkII 7mm Rem Mag. For some reason, all my Ruger rifles do like Hornady ammo. It's what I always use before working up handloads.

Ya that winchester power point 150 worked wonders in my .06. With rem core lock I was doing about 2" to 2 1/2" went to the win. and it is sub moa. I was sold. then I tryed in my 7mm R M same thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.