7mm berger, which one?

moombaskier

Hello, First off I would like to thank everyone here for all of the great knowedge shared. Now that I've kissed your butts, I have a question. My 700XCR in 7mag shoots the 160NAB very well. I get 3100fps behind IMR 7828 and sub MOA out to 800yds. consistently. 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water don't stand a chance, under the right conditions. I haven't had to shoot that far at game yet...548yds on a nice blacktail buck is my longest so far. I would like to try for 1K yds. and don't feel comfortable with the terminal ballistics of the 160NAB at that range. I'm thinking of Berger 168 or 180. My rifle is pretty much stock, except for lugs lapped and trigger work. Which bullet do you recomend I try? I have a couple of nice Roosevelt bulls that I can only get within 950-1000yds. I really want to cap one next year at that spot.

AB's are advertised to open at 1800 fps, although I've seen posts where a 338, 225 AB opened at significantly less out past 1K.

Bergers are advertised to open down to 1825 fps, at least the 30 cal bullets.

BT's are advertised to open at about 1600 fps.

The BC advantage of the Bergers, especially the 7mm 180 may get you there better than the Noslers?

Hello Again, Thanks for the reply's so far, based on the jbm ballistics software my 160NAB will only be going 1610fps@1kyds, thus the 800yd max on that bullet in my rifle. Assuming I can get 3050fps/168vld or 2950fps/180vld I will still be about 1800fps@1kyds. I want to be comfortable knowing which bullet will kill an elk at 1k yds., providing I can consistently hit my target at that range with the given conditions....wind!

AB's are advertised to open at 1800 fps, although I've seen posts where a 338, 225 AB opened at significantly less out past 1K.

Bergers are advertised to open down to 1825 fps, at least the 30 cal bullets.

BT's are advertised to open at about 1600 fps.

The BC advantage of the Bergers, especially the 7mm 180 may get you there better than the Noslers?

Can you provide a source on this? Not arguing the point, I just looked and was never able to find them advertising a minimum velocity?

Can you provide a source on this? Not arguing the point, I just looked and was never able to find them advertising a minimum velocity?

Sure, I got it in an email from Walt Berger...

In a message dated 4/11/2008 3:50:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi Mark,
Adequate expansion is achieved above 1825 fps.
Walt Berger
Berger Bullets
Technical Adviser
Hello Walt,

I was wondering if you could provide me with the minimum performance velocities of the 30 cal 168, 175 and 185 VLD bullets for expansion on game.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello, Thanks Montana Rifleman for the info. I too inquired about expansion velocities, I'm with Forester, I expected a lower minimum. My reason for the original post was to hopefully hear from the more experienced folks here on the terminal performance of the various high bc 7mm bullets at 1800fps. I may just have to find a different herd to hunt, I hiked over 100 miles this summer trying to get a shooting vantage point below 950-1000yds, but no luck.

Hello, Thanks Montana Rifleman for the info. I too inquired about expansion velocities, I'm with Forester, I expected a lower minimum. My reason for the original post was to hopefully hear from the more experienced folks here on the terminal performance of the various high bc 7mm bullets at 1800fps. I may just have to find a different herd to hunt, I hiked over 100 miles this summer trying to get a shooting vantage point below 950-1000yds, but no luck.

If you can get 3100 out of your rifle with a 160, then you should easily be able to get 2950 with a 180. When I run a 180 VLD with a .684 BC @ 2950 @ 3000' elev, I get a vel of 1814 @ 1000 yds.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the AB's appear to open at slower than advertised velocities at LR. We had a discusion about this on another thread and i concluded that it *might* have to do with heat generated to the jacket over an extended TOF for a LR shot. Whatever the reason, the AB's in a couple of instances opened at significantly lower velocities.

You might try the VLDs on coyotes or antelope at 1000 yds and see what happens?

First, I'll state that I have had good luck recently with the 168 berger using Retumbo powder, getting just over 3000fps out of a stock Sako 75 with a 24.5" barrel. I killed my buck with it this year, but only at 350 yards.

One thing I would do is check to see if you think your magazing can handle the LONG length of the 180 grain high BC bullets or even the 168's. I think the 180's would be better if you can fit them and get the requisite velocity and accuracy, but I think the numbers will support the 168's, based on what you said you are getting now. I assume you have a 26" barrel as mine is only 24.5. Retumbo powder will add a little velocity and you should have the velocity and energy right at 1000 yards if you can do your part. You will need a lot of practice and perfect conditions as you know, just because your gun can do doesn't mean you should....unless you know you're ready.

Good luck trying!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.