7MM Mag factory ammo recommendation for elk

If a man doesnt want to get into reloading or he doesnt want to reload that caliber.... AND if might be FOR HIM that the accuracy he gets from good factory ammo more than satisfy him.....whats the big deal.

He dont wish to do it...period.

No one is forcing him ... and you don't know him like I do. The big deal is he 's not satisfied with the accuracy he gets out of the factory load thus far... period.lightbulb

Hence, I am trying to help him by soliciting the forums' personal experience on the same rifle he has ... period. :rolleyes:

No one is forcing him ... and you don't know him like I do. The big deal is he 's not satisfied with the accuracy he gets out of the factory load thus far... period.lightbulb

Hence, I am trying to help him by soliciting the forums' personal experience on the same rifle he has ... period. :rolleyes:

Ed,

I think the bottom line here is it's going to boil down to trial and error to find a sub MOA factory load in his factory rifle. That rifle may never shoot factory ammo (or handloads) sub MOA and it could cost a lot of $$$ finding that out.

Out of curiosity. what accuracy is he looking for?

Has he bedded things and done the typical accuracy improving jobs to the rifle? Any more I pretty much just stick to the HSM stuff if a guy wants to go factory since you can buy a truck load of it in the same lot, that way I don't have to screw with this kind of stuff every year.

Ed,

I think the bottom line here is it's going to boil down to trial and error to find a sub MOA factory load in his factory rifle. That rifle may never shoot factory ammo (or handloads) sub MOA and it could cost a lot of $$$ finding that out.

Out of curiosity. what accuracy is he looking for?

Mark,

He commented very positively when I sighted another hunting buddy's rifle (Savage 110 in .300 Win Mag) using factory 180gr Barnes TSX ... I think he'll be happy with something like this ...

1-Petes300WM-Barnes180TSX_zps3899c6da.jpg

Ed

Has he bedded things and done the typical accuracy improving jobs to the rifle? Any more I pretty much just stick to the HSM stuff if a guy wants to go factory since you can buy a truck load of it in the same lot, that way I don't have to screw with this kind of stuff every year.

Rhian,

The only thing he has ever done with the rifle is install a muzzle brake on. I agree with you in staying with HSM ... at least for now.

Ed

I have a buddy who was just like this until recently. He bought a sweet M70 super grade classic in 338 win new in box early this summer. Put a dicent old leupold scope on it and zeroed it with Hornadys 200 grain superformance load with sst bullets. Well it would group about 1-1/2 inches or so for 3 shots and he was bitching. I said let me load you some ammo and I will get you a better load. Yack yack yack. Well he picked up a new Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 illum boone and crockett and brought it over and asked me if I could could put the scope on it and re zero the rifle while he was away for work. Well I have dies and I am a 338 guy so I have mucho accubonds amongst other bullets even had a 100 winchester brass I bought about 15 years ago.
Worked up a load with the 225 AB over Reloader 19 Tweeked it and got the rifle to put two in pretty much the same hole and the third about a half an inch out. When he came back to grab the rife I gave him three targets shot by me with my loads and he said "oh so the old scope was to blame" I then handed him his box of the superformance ammo with none fired and 50 nice new hand loads. So now I have created a bit of a monster now that he wants me to load for his 270 and 7 Weatherbys his 7 mag his 264 243 and so on. Not too big of a deal though cause I end up with extra powder and primers once the loads are all worked out and done. The rifle needs bedding if you ask me and a real barrel with some meat, touch up or replace the trigger and I could get it shooting one holers but he is real happy and has it in Montana Right now looking for a big bull elk.

So perhaps for you there might be light at the end of the tunnel and an end to the bitching about accuracy.

Rhian,

The only thing he has ever done with the rifle is install a muzzle brake on. I agree with you in staying with HSM ... at least for now.

Ed

What he's getting may be as good as the rifle will do in it's current state of factory tension, a real simple bedding job and a trigger tune up may just let the ammo shoot at it's best, the best ammo in the world won't fix a gun that is pulling it's self in all directions or is sloppy.

I have a buddy who was just like this until recently. He bought a sweet M70 super grade classic in 338 win new in box early this summer. Put a dicent old leupold scope on it and zeroed it with Hornadys 200 grain superformance load with sst bullets. Well it would group about 1-1/2 inches or so for 3 shots and he was bitching. I said let me load you some ammo and I will get you a better load. Yack yack yack. Well he picked up a new Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 illum boone and crockett and brought it over and asked me if I could could put the scope on it and re zero the rifle while he was away for work. Well I have dies and I am a 338 guy so I have mucho accubonds amongst other bullets even had a 100 winchester brass I bought about 15 years ago.
Worked up a load with the 225 AB over Reloader 19 Tweeked it and got the rifle to put two in pretty much the same hole and the third about a half an inch out. When he came back to grab the rife I gave him three targets shot by me with my loads and he said "oh so the old scope was to blame" I then handed him his box of the superformance ammo with none fired and 50 nice new hand loads. So now I have created a bit of a monster now that he wants me to load for his 270 and 7 Weatherbys his 7 mag his 264 243 and so on. Not too big of a deal though cause I end up with extra powder and primers once the loads are all worked out and done. The rifle needs bedding if you ask me and a real barrel with some meat, touch up or replace the trigger and I could get it shooting one holers but he is real happy and has it in Montana Right now looking for a big bull elk.

So perhaps for you there might be light at the end of the tunnel and an end to the bitching about accuracy.

LOL! I also offered to load for his T/C Icon .270 Win since I have the dies, various powders, primers, and bullets for it but insist on staying with factory ammo. He was getting less than an inch group with 140gr NABs.

What he's getting may be as good as the rifle will do in it's current state of factory tension, a real simple bedding job and a trigger tune up may just let the ammo shoot at it's best, the best ammo in the world won't fix a gun that is pulling it's self in all directions or is sloppy.

I hear you! Everything is kinda a slow process to him except for his driving. :D

He's been here in MT since the early 1980s and retired from USAF in 2004 but it was me that convince him (started working with him in 2003) to hunt the speed goats 3 years ago (got a decent buck in 2011 and 2012) ... now it's one of his favorite game to go after. :cool:

I am posting this for a friend that has a Weatherby Accumark in 7MM Mag - not sure of the barrel length (24"?) or twist (1:9.5"?) but he is now using a HSM 180gr Berger VLD grouping ~1.00" at 100 yards. Prior to that he was using 160gr NABs (IIRC), same or close to the Berger grouping.

I offered to load for him if he buys the dies (I have a 7MM STW dies but not the 7MM Mag dies) and whatever bullet he wants but he insist staying with factory ammo. Anyways, not sure where he read it but apparently he is convinced that a 168gr will group better. HSM has 168grainers.

Shots will be all under 500 yards, most likely 200-250 yards. Looking forward for any information to pass to him. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Ed

Ed,

You never specifically say, but I assume based on your other comments that his Weatherby rifle is chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum - not 7mm Weatherby Magnum. You might want to be sure and clarify that next time. :D

I have seen wildly different results with the HSM ammo from rifle to rifle and load to load. In fact, I've only seen it shoot well in one rifle - my Sendero - and it was a box my hunting partner gave me for free after it didn't shoot well at all in his 7mm Rem Mag. If your friend has reasonable accuracy with his current ammunition then just let him shoot it. If he thinks the 168 will shoot better let him buy it and find out - it's his money.

My hunting partner has the same factory ammo fetish, so I know what you're dealing with.

Ed,

You never specifically say, but I assume based on your other comments that his Weatherby rifle is chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum - not 7mm Weatherby Magnum. You might want to be sure and clarify that next time. :D

I have seen wildly different results with the HSM ammo from rifle to rifle and load to load. In fact, I've only seen it shoot well in one rifle - my Sendero - and it was a box my hunting partner gave me for free after it didn't shoot well at all in his 7mm Rem Mag. If your friend has reasonable accuracy with his current ammunition then just let him shoot it. If he thinks the 168 will shoot better let him buy it and find out - it's his money.

My hunting partner has the same factory ammo fetish, so I know what you're dealing with.

Sorry! You're absolutely right, it's 7MM Remington Magnum. I am so used to writing 7MM Mag for the 7MM Remington Magnum and 7MM WBY for the 7MM Weatherby Magnum that I forget that others might misconstrue my intent. Thanks.

Ed

Sorry! You're absolutely right, it's 7MM Remington Magnum. I am so used to writing 7MM Mag for the 7MM Remington Magnum and 7MM WBY for the 7MM Weatherby Magnum that I forget that others might misconstrue my intent. Thanks.

Ed

I usually use 7mmRM, 7RM, or 7mm RM for the 7mm Remington Magnum...

Gets confusing, I know... LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.