7mm rem mag factory ammo

the sako is a nice rifle. besides the 168, and 180 grain HSM ammo ..... you should try the 140 grain HSM . all are loaded with berger match grade bullets. those give the best chance in accuracy. the 4 th choice i would try is the 140 ballistic silver tip from winchester. i would save my money until i could shoot those 4.

Sounds good. Thanks for the input. Im not 21 yet so I cannot order ammo online, so I'm fairly limited. Hopefully my local Bass Pros has one of those 4...

66, the custom search top right this page. There is info on all facets from stock bedding, scope mounts, safe barrel cleaning, triggers, shooting technique and many other helpful info you could use. There are many opinions on each subject, that's where you need to filter the knowledge you've learned to apply to your needs. Asking questions on the forum helps also. Many will tell you there are no stupid questions. Good luck

I mean yeah those are all pretty basic. I know most of that stuff. Like torque specs for scope mounts, getting it level. cleaning barrels with a bore guide, brash brush, patches, solvents etc etc having a low trigger weight, squeezing and holding the trigger through shots. Shooting between breaths and heart beats, aim small miss small. Calculating for wind, mil relation etc... I was just asking if you had anything specific thats not so common to the average LR shooter...

the sako is a nice rifle. besides the 168, and 180 grain HSM ammo ..... you should try the 140 grain HSM . all are loaded with berger match grade bullets. those give the best chance in accuracy. the 4 th choice i would try is the 140 ballistic silver tip from winchester. i would save my money until i could shoot those 4.

Why do you recommend the 140g from winchester? The BC is lower than all the others cause the lower bullet weight.

from 0-500 or 600, the 140 is faster , flatter and equal or less wind drift. the heavier high bc bullets gain some advantage at 600 to 1000. in order of factory ammo i would shoot , 1- 140 berger, 2- 168 berger , 3 and 4- 140 and or 150 ballistic silver tip ........ then the 180 berger . unless you are shooting 1000 yards or 350 pound whitetails the 180 and you have a muzzle break the 180 is more than i need . the 7mm is a powerful round. all of those will do well. getting one of those the rifle likes and goes into .6 at 100, and 6 inches at 600 is the key.

I still think he would be best off with the 168. He gets the speed, the high BC, and the weight for KE on impact. The 168 VLD is the best mixture of them all, IMO.

IMO, if you need a 180, you should jump up to the bigger 7mm cartridges, like the 28 Nosler, 7mm Dakota, 7x300 WinMag, 7x300 Wby, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM.... The recoil is not that much greater, but it will allow you to push the 180's to the same velocities that the smaller calibers are maxing out with the 168's.

I still think he would be best off with the 168. He gets the speed, the high BC, and the weight for KE on impact. The 168 VLD is the best mixture of them all, IMO.

IMO, if you need a 180, you should jump up to the bigger 7mm cartridges, like the 28 Nosler, 7mm Dakota, 7x300 WinMag, 7x300 Wby, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM.... The recoil is not that much greater, but it will allow you to push the 180's to the same velocities that the smaller calibers are maxing out with the 168's.

These are all out wherever I look, what ammo should I go for next? 160g VLD? 180 VLD? Then maybe 150g Winchester Ballistic Silver tips? I am only hunting coyotes/deer so I see your point about not needing the 180g.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.