what brand factory ammo for 3006 for Elk hunt

insulator

Would like any input you have .My fiancée shoots a Tika 3006 and is comfortable out to 300 yards. Any thoughts on what brand of factory ammo that has worked for you in this caliber would be a great help as there is so many choices.New to Elk hunting so just not sure what to use.She now shoots Barnes 180 grain tipped TSX bt keeps a good pattern with it but I have been told that round is for thin skinned game.

Any round made by anyone that has a Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX sitting on top...you can't go wrong with either ...they have stood the test of time.

Thank you.I posted on another forum but maybe you can help. Does anyone make custom turret dials for our Trijicon scopes?

insulator, I would certainly suggest the Barnes TTSX, but IMHO opinion drop down to a 165/168 grainer. With the Barnes you will have almost 100% weight retention,giving you greater retained bullet weight than with your typical cup and core bullets. But because of a longer bullet due to it's being all copper,the 180(again IMHO) uses up too much of the available powder space in a 30-06. The 165/168's will give somewhat higher velocities with negligible loss in terminal performance. In summary,I believe that 300/400 yrd. shots would be a slightly easier for the hunter(higher velocities,flatter trajectories) ,without sacrificing performance on big game(elk,bear,moose,ext.) memtb

I've been using Barnes 180gr TTSX factory ammo in my 300 win mag for the last 16 months because one of the locations I hunt require non-lead ammo. Consequently I have used it for everything since then. I've killed four elk with them and they all hit the ground within 10-20 seconds or so. They don't run or even walk but it's not like they were hit by lightening either. The ranges have been up to 340'ish or so and I get complete pass through even after hitting some bone. I've never found anything other than the blue tip once.

Now that I'm getting into reloading I'll still use the TTSX for my special spot but plan to try the ELD-X as my first loads.

Good hunting to you!

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.