Extractor on Remington Bolt

freebird63

Currently and with all my other remington model 700 bolt action guns I have owned, the extractor has always been stock.
I have heard people talk about putting sako extractor's in or M16 extractor's in.
Is one better then the other??
I have never had any issues with past remington's.
So what are the differences and the pro's and con's.

Currently and with all my other remington model 700 bolt action guns I have owned, the extractor has always been stock.
I have heard people talk about putting sako extractor's in or M16 extractor's in.

Do a custom query on the top right hand corner for "SAKO vs M16 extractor".

If you haven't had any trouble with the standard M700 extractor I would say leave it alone. It works fine.

In my experience the M16 style extractor in a M700 bolt face can throw ejected brass into the windage knob. I don't know if the Sako style would be any different in this regard.

I've never had a problem with any of my factory ejectors and extractors, either, but I've read a lot of b****ing on the interwebz about it... But I also don't slam the bolt open or closed or run it really fast, even with follow-up shots.

I've never had a problem with any of my factory ejectors and extractors, either, but I've read a lot of b****ing on the interwebz about it... But I also don't slam the bolt open or closed or run it really fast, even with follow-up shots.

Remington had a run of them that were crap out of the box, I got 6 of them in and replaced the extractors and GTG, I had several calls from guys at the range with their brand new Remington that would not close on the first round because the extractors were sprung out.
The stock extractor if functioning right and kept clean works fine and I would definitely not run an M16 or Sako just for kicks and giggles unless you can put them in yourself. Gretan M16's eject lower than the others. The main reason is if you change the bolt face diameter then you have to go with a different extractor strategy.

Remington had a run of them that were crap out of the box, I got 6 of them in and replaced the extractors and GTG, I had several calls from guys at the range with their brand new Remington that would not close on the first round because the extractors were sprung out.
The stock extractor if functioning right and kept clean works fine and I would definitely not run an M16 or Sako just for kicks and giggles unless you can put them in yourself. Gretan M16's eject lower than the others. The main reason is if you change the bolt face diameter then you have to go with a different extractor strategy.

I can definitely believe that. I try not to put too much faith in ANY factory rifle. But I also no longer try to buy expensive factory rifles either, for the same reason. I don't ever want to be upside-down in one, and lose my ***** off, again.

Lucky for you, you're a smith, and lucky for me, my smith lives close, charges very low prices, and has a super-quick turnaround, so for people in our situation, it's not as big of a concern as someone who would have to send their's off and wait a year before the smith even looks at it.

A few years ago I read a magazine article where a guy made a piece of brass with two rimless ends so two bolts could be put on them to see which would give first. He put the piece of brass between a stock Rimington and a Sako bolt. He also made some way to grip the bolts and pull them apart. The Sako side gave up first and lost its grip on the rim.

+1

If the chamber and bolt face are not well maintained, Any extractor can cause problems. As far as stock extractors go, there are millions of Remington's and no Problems that I know of.

When enlarging the bolt face, I prefer to replace it with the M 16 style extractor. I have never had an issue with the Sako extractor, but the M 16 just seems more robust and secure. Note: any extractor replacement needs to be located correctly for proper ejection.

J E CUSTOM

Does anyone know a gunsmith that will open a bolt face from a 308 diameter to a magnum diameter and install a new Remington style extractor?

Does anyone know a gunsmith that will open a bolt face from a 308 diameter to a magnum diameter and install a new Remington style extractor?

I don't know anyone who does, the cut would be kinda an odd one that you have to get perfect, I think that's why it's most common to just run an M16 or sako in, much easier set up and guaranteed function. The best would be to run a Borden hook extractor, zero compromise and they can be positioned in the correct place, I think in the future you'll see them hit aftermarket for the Rem, Jim is using them in his actions now.

Before I would go to that expense, buy a PTG bolt and sell your bolt. You wl be money ahead and have a smoother running bolt.

I had one of the bad remington extractors. Broke on the 3rd shot, remington fixed it and then broke on 1st shot when it returned.

I think the basic design of the Remington extractor is sound, Remington's production process/QC on occasion may not be. I have put many thousands of rounds over many years through my Remington's and have not had any problems. Any extractor system needs to be regularly cleaned and checked for good reliability.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.