Remington 700 riveted extractor

Buster95

I'm interested in a Remington 700 Long Range in 300 win mag, I emailed Remington directly and they confirm that the rifle comes with a riveted extractor, anything wrong with riveted extractor? Easy to change if the extractor breaks? Also, I read on many forums that the 700 extractor (both type riveted and non riveted) is prone to breakage, is that true? I never had a Remington 700.

There is nothing wrong with a correctly installed Remington extractor. I would rather have one of them than a Sako or an M16 style.

I read all kinda of complaints about Remington 700 extractors having problems...None of mine ever have. And I have quite a few of them, and have put many thousands of rounds through 700 and Model 7 actions.

My cousin's 7mm rsaum had a rivited extractor fail on him... Picked up a new one and installed it himself and had a few problems but after messing with it a bit got it working again... I guess they can be a little finicky installing them.... He talked to his smith about doing an m14 or sako conversion on it but the smith wasn't too keen on it... I guess the process involves removing material from the inside lip of the bolt face and it would leave that ring of steal pretty thin when dealing with a magnum action... He has run a lot of remingtons and I don't think he has had any other extractor problems though...
Around the same time another guy I shoot with a lot had a Remington 700 with a sako extractor break on him... Thing sheared off right at the retaining pin... So from what I have observed you are just as likely to have an extractor fail with either stock rem or sako extractors :rolleyes:...
All my long range rigs are savages so I just have to deal with detent balls and springs flying across the room when I mess with an extractor problem :D

I say go with the stock Remington and don't worry too much about it

Orch

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Orch, I already have a brand new unfired Savage 111F (with iron sights) 300 win mag, maybe a new bull barrel for it is a good option too.

Unfired!?!??!! I don't think I have had a gun in my possession more than 1/2 a day without testing it out! If you already have the savage with a 300wm try making up a load for it first... You never know it might shoot bugholes as it is, don't necessarily need a bull barel to shoot long range, they r nice for target shooting where u can be shooting long strings of bullets, it takes longer to heat the barrel up, but if u plan on using it for long range hunting the 1st and sometimes the second shot are the most important. If u can't get that barrel to shoot then I'd drop the coin on an aftermarket barrel...

Orch

Unfired!?!??!! I don't think I have had a gun in my possession more than 1/2 a day without testing it out! If you already have the savage with a 300wm try making up a load for it first... You never know it might shoot bugholes as it is, don't necessarily need a bull barel to shoot long range, they r nice for target shooting where u can be shooting long strings of bullets, it takes longer to heat the barrel up, but if u plan on using it for long range hunting the 1st and sometimes the second shot are the most important. If u can't get that barrel to shoot then I'd drop the coin on an aftermarket barrel...

Orch

I've had my 5R Milspec .300WM since Dec. 2014, and it has yet to be fired. I did bring it home and immediately swap the trigger, pull it apart and clean it, wipe all the cosmoline and grease out of it, scrub the bore, and then soak it with a wet patch of Kroil. Then later I put a scope on it, but still have yet to shoot it.

That's the longest I've ever had a gun without shooting it. Usually I buy them on a Friday or Saturday, and go to the range the next day.

My gunsmith has built a lot of rifles on the Rem. action, in fact he prefers them over any other action. So, that said, you can't wrong with a Rem. bolt and extractor. I have a Savage mod. 111 at his shop trying to get a 338/06 barrel for it and I think he might be dragging his feet on this project because he favors the Rem action.:D

My smith prefers 700's and custom actions based on the 700 footprint so much he cursed me when I brought my A-Bolt II in there...As many 700's as I brought him, he couldn't complain too much. But the end-product was worth it, and even he was impressed with his work. Then he told me when it needs another barrel, I'd better not bring it back in there to him. When I get the funds for a Proof Research barrel for it, he's gonna be ****ed... :D:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.