Gunsmith suggestions? Remington with Mini M16 extractor or Savage bolt head?

engineer40

Does anyone have a suggestion for a gunsmith that does good work on modifying a Remington bolt for a mini M16 extractor? I'm coming up a little short on local smiths doing the work so I'll probably send it out. Preferably to someone who has done this a few times successfully prior to modifying my bolt.

I think a second option would be to have a Savage style bolt head installed. I'm just assuming this is a more costly option with no additional benefits over the mini m16 extractor upgrade.

Any opinions? Thanks all!

I think I came up with a couple gunsmiths who can do this for me. But they haven't given me the warm and fuzzy feeling yet. Their responses were about like "yeah I can do that".

Any of you guys have this same work done to a Remington bolt? Did you experience any problems?

Thanks!

I think a second option would be to have a Savage style bolt head installed. I'm just assuming this is a more costly option with no additional benefits over the mini m16 extractor upgrade.

This is exactly what http://bighornarms.com/actions/ is. Not sure how you derived from no additional benefit with the floating but ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/x51SwCZCHCA?t=2[/ame]

I have the SR2 LA in my current build and I am very please with it.

Cheers!

engineer40,

GA Precision will do the M16 conversion in a 24 hour turn around.

River's Bend in Weston, MO. is fast also.

Badger Ordnance will do these as well.

All three are best reputation companies.

Regards.

I am thinking about also getting the mini M16 extractor installed. Other then it being installed on the bolt, does the action have to be modified in any way to accept it.
I am thinking about Kampfield in Northern Idaho.

freebird63,

No other mods unless there is a bolt nose recess in the barrel tenon which is too small in diameter to let the extractor open up.

Regards.

Thanks for everyone's replies! Really appreciate it!

I did contact some of the gunsmiths you all mentioned!

I ended up sending it to Pierce Engineering right here in Michigan. I knew they made great rifles but I wasn't sure if they did gunsmithing also. They said they would do the job with a quick turn around. The quote they gave me was stellar, plus them being local and they already have a great reputation.

Thanks again all! I'm really quite excited to get this Rem 721 shooting again.

Turn around time from Pierce Engineering was only a couple weeks.

Feels really good to have my great grandpa's old Rem 721 extracting properly and functioning 100%!

IMG_20161020_115136_134.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just order a one piece PTG bolt with extractor you want, fluting, threaded handle etc, if you want those options and use it?

Sell your bolt for $125-150 to offset the cost.

Remington 700 1 Piece Bolts - Pacific Tool and Gauge

That was an option if need be. I didn't want to have to mess with the headspace. Plus since this specific rifle has been passed from my great grandpa, do my grandpa, to my dad, and now to me... I like the idea of keeping it with as many original parts as I could. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.