Everyone needs to see this

*****WARNING*****

The issue here was the shooting of Sabot loads (SLAP) through an external brake. It has always been advised to never shoot sabot loads nor wadded shotgun shells through any external brake, for the sabot/wad can open too quickly and lodge in the brake causing excessive pressure similar to a plugged bore. His first indicator were the rounds that were flying everywhere, for this is an indicator the sabots are opening and hitting the brake before final exist and causing very erratic bullet flight.
I have been shooting .50 BMG for many years. I also have SLAP ammo, but only use it in a belt fed (no brake) You definitely don't shoot sabo rounds with a muzzle brake, period!
Also, some thought bullet to case "weld" this can not happen with a sabot.
The previous round was jacketed and would have cleared any obstruction.
They noted a change in muzzle flash, this is an indication of the sabot causing an obstruction, forcing more flash out of the brake.
It is possible that round was hotter than the others. I doubt that even if the sabot got completely sideways in the brake the rifle would blow up like that. There would be damage to the brake for sure that would prove it.
I really can't believe the manufacturer ever brought that firearm to market. I wouldn't even think about shooting one, especially after seeing this! Most people have no idea how much power you are dealing with in the .50 BMG round.

If I were the manufacturer, I'd be volunteering to buy back every rifle sold.
The only pressure relief valve built into this rifle design, besides the muzzle exit, is the threaded pipe cap coming off and striking your head.

I agree that weapon IMO leaves a lot to be desired. I don't like the idea of a threaded cap.

For those who remember and those who have not seen, here is one of Remington's high speed photos showing their old Accelerator sabot round's fingers beginning to open within about 1/2 inch or so of leaving the muzzle. If this occurs within the beginning section of your brake, it will act like an obstruction and cause excessive back pressure, which will then cause a potential breach of the weakest point in the weapon. In this case, the less than desirable threaded breach plug.

>snip<
The previous round was jacketed and would have cleared any obstruction.
>snip<
The potential obstruction comes with each sabot round fired, as the sabot fingers open and potentially obstructs the brake area. Each time this obstruction occurs and does not cause failure in the weapon, it is causing excessive back pressure and potentially weakens the weakest points until the final obstruction and failure occurs as seen.

That's a lucky man. I'd buy a lotto ticket if I was him.
That makes my range disaster in which I blew up my Ruger precision look like a walk in the park.

I know I couldn't own a design that required me to screw on a cap to load a round. What could be worse than a 1 pound cap coming at your head.

Large diameter threaded cap, more area, more back thrust (directed force) from escaping gas, shallow V threads, sort of like a plumbing application. No place for gas to escape like holes in bottom of bolt or hole in receiver ring. The .50 BMG develops huge amounts of bolt thrust. Would have liked a look at the muzzle brake after shooting sabot bullets. No remnants of brass case were seen and inside cap looked clean, should have been plastered with brass.

Ridiculous rifle design.

I gave post a "like" an appreciate would have been appropriate.

The man demonstrated cool thinking, resourcefulness, and toughness. Fortunately, the post mortem was performed on the rifle.

The forest foxes mark the hydrant at night (life goes on).

Last edited:
If you watch the video closely, you'll see the rifle explode with very little muzzle flash. If it had been a hot load, you would have seen some.

Back in the 60's and 70's, our special ops forces would sabotage ammo by filling the case with explosives rather than powder. Then they would slip in behind enemy lines and "drop" the sabotaged ammo into enemy stockpiles.
That happened in SE Asia along with Central America. Yes, they did it to 12.7X99 along with 12.7X109, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, mortar rounds and, possibly, 5.56. It would do exactly what happened in this video; but, from a belt fed heavy weapon, the damage and casualties would be far greater.

Fast forward to today's global economy and it is quite probable that some of that sabotaged ammo made into the supply chain. He didn't know where the ammo was made or where it came from, so it's probable it came in through some importer who had no idea.

Last edited: