Is this normal when fire forming? See pic.

Cratering can be a sign of pressure but it can also be caused by other things. At one time Remington decided to countersink the bolt face around their firing pins which led to cratered primers. There's other causes but you get the idea. Many guys bush the firing pin to negate this or fix a sloppy pin.
There was a thread with pictures a bit ago.

Tannel Firing Pin Bushing Cures Primer Cratering « Daily Bulletin

Cratering is not a pressure sign?

Below is my 30-06 Remington 700 bolt face and the firing pin hole is beveled on the bolt face. Many Remington 700 bolt faces were made this way and my fired primers look like the OPs photos.

boltface2_zpsdf1f12bc.jpg

Another photo from AR15.com showing a .223 and .308 with the beveled bolt face firing pin hole

700boltfaces_zpsm2ryjprp.jpg

And the cure for this below is to have the bolt face bushed to prevent the primers from flowing into the bevel.

firingpin20001_zpsnjkgah68.jpg

Savage bolt heads are also known for having oversized firing pin holes that the primer can flow into. You can have them bushed or I think someone is selling oversized firing pins.

If I were the OP I would hold a flat edge rule on the flat section of his fired primers and look for daylight around the base of the case. If the primers are backed out its a sign of low pressure and excessive head clearance. Meaning if he increases the load and pressure to the point the rear of the case makes contact with the bolt face the problem "might" go away. When a primer protrudes from the rear of the case it is headspacing on the primer and not the rear of the case. And this can cause the how the OPs primers look.

Also cases with excessive head clearance will let the primer back out of the primer pocket further than normal. And when the case stretches to meet the bolt face the firing pin will punch the center out of the primer like a cookie cutter.

piercedprimer-1_zps292b54b8.jpg

If the primer flow problem persists then the firing pin hole in the bolt face is too large. Or else the firing pin diameter is too small or "all of the above".

NOTE: Some shooters switch to the CCI "military" primers, below you can see the base of the primer cup is thicker and less likely to flow.

No34primer_zps010b4fce-b_zpsxsququmi.jpg

Cratering is not a pressure sign?
Slight cratering in itself is no more to me than normal.
By the time a primer signals problem pressure, there are other signs confirming.
Things like ejector marks, case head wiping/difficult bolt turn, popping extraction, primers pierced or falling out of pockets, burned out/blown pockets. I measure web growth, and watch for any of these things, go to and log 'MyMax Pressure' early -before load development.

People bush their bolts to mitigate a problem from excess cratering (piercing) usually because of excess pin clearance, and/or they're running and want to continue running stiffer loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts