Is this normal?

DartonJager

I fired my first reloads out of my 300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite. Two different reloads to start with using RL-17 and 180 NBT's. My chronograph showed both loadings were on average anywhere from 80 to as much as 99 FPS quicker than what the reloading info from Alliant said they would be. I used Federal 215M mag Lrg Rfl primers.

All of my reloads had a MV considerably over 3100fps.

This is only my second time out with my new chronograph so I was a little surprised, was expecting the MV's be if anything a little less.

Is this simply how my particular rifle shoots? I had no signs of excessive pressure, normal bolt lift, primers OK, etc.

I'm not whining simply wondering.

DJager/Art.

DJ, every barrel is different. Some have relatively smooth lands and some look like they are machined with gravel. If your groups are the size you are wanting, stretch the yardage and see what it'll do. Good luck

Tikkas have a 11 twist barrel instead of the more traditional 10 twist for 30 cal barrels. Alliant probably does their load tests with 10 twist barrels. That might account for some of the increase.

Also RL 17 is very temp sensitive. Those numbers might be even higher in warmer weather and excess pressure might suddenly show up. So be aware of that.

As was said, shoot the load at long distance and see if the drops lineup with the chronograph numbers. That can be enlightening.

DartonJager,

Using an Oehler 33 my .270 Win uses 2.2 grains below the maximum load Ty at Barnes told me they use. And yet we both get 3,500 feet per second with the TTSX 110. This barrel is 24" long. Today I will fire the brass for the twelfth time.

Tikkas have a 11 twist barrel instead of the more traditional 10 twist for 30 cal barrels. Alliant probably does their load tests with 10 twist barrels. That might account for some of the increase.

Also RL 17 is very temp sensitive. Those numbers might be even higher in warmer weather and excess pressure might suddenly show up. So be aware of that.

As was said, shoot the load at long distance and see if the drops lineup with the chronograph numbers. That can be enlightening.

BN,
Thanks for the input, the temp at the time I was shooting began in the mid 40*'s and peeked at the mid 50*'s, is that a high enough temperature to cause an increase in pressure/velocity? now that I FINALLY have a chrono I will be able to keep exact track of my loads MV's and if RL-17 does prove to be as temp sensitive as some (but not all) of reloaders have reported, I will likely move to another powder. Unfortunately powders like Magpro are simply not available OTC, will likely try IMR/H4831sc or IMR4350 as they came up VERY frequently in my research.

Thanks to all so far for the input.

I neglected to include some info that might be significant. I was also shooting some Federal Power-Shock ammo I got a great deal on ($23/box of 20 W/180 SP) and they cronographed spot on advertised MV of 2980+/- SD of less than 30fps.

From what I've seen, RL17 doesn't get squirrelly until you get above 85° with a near max load. Otherwise, it's not bad. I doubt you're having temp stability issues at 40°.

What is your load? If it's anything above 66 grains I'd say you're over max. IMO 3100 fps is pushing it pretty hard. You should be seeing no more than 3050 with a 180, but your rifle may like it up there.

DJ, the IMR Enduron 4451 is very close to H4350 and their 4955 is very close to H4831 in burn rate. Many are using these since the Hodgdon powders are difficult to find. They are said to be as temp insensitive as the Hodgdon Extreme powders. I've used the 4451 in place of H4350 for a friend's 300WSM and it shot great. Always start lower and work up in charge weight.

From what I've seen, RL17 doesn't get squirrelly until you get above 85° with a near max load. Otherwise, it's not bad. I doubt you're having temp stability issues at 40°.

What is your load? If it's anything above 66 grains I'd say you're over max. IMO 3100 fps is pushing it pretty hard. You should be seeing no more than 3050 with a 180, but your rifle may like it up there.

Thanks for the input Brent,
My loads were 66.0, 65.5, 65.0, all using Federal 215M primers, new never fired Win brass. I got the 66.0 right from Alliant's WS. That is why I posted for opinions here. I use a PACT powder dispenser and check every second reload on my RCBS 550 beam scale.

I fired my first reloads out of my 300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite. Two different reloads to start with using RL-17 and 180 NBT's. My chronograph showed both loadings were on average anywhere from 80 to as much as 99 FPS quicker than what the reloading info from Alliant said they would be. I used Federal 215M mag Lrg Rfl primers.

All of my reloads had a MV considerably over 3100fps.

This is only my second time out with my new chronograph so I was a little surprised, was expecting the MV's be if anything a little less.

Is this simply how my particular rifle shoots? I had no signs of excessive pressure, normal bolt lift, primers OK, etc.

I'm not whining simply wondering.

DJager/Art.

Few years back I had Win 300WSM redone and new Kreiger barrel 1/11.25r twist barrel and new McMillan stock. I looked at Alliant site and I used R-17 with 165gr/168gr and 180gr bullets and their max was 66gr/R-17 @ 3082fps for 180gr and max 68gr/R-17 @ 3217fps for 165gr bullets. I used Fed 215 primer.

66gr/R-17/165gr AB/168gr E-Tip, I average just little over 3200fps at 2gr under max.

With 180gr AB using 66gr/R17, I average 3090fps.

I shot that rifle about year here in Co before downsizing and gave my nephew that rifle.

I live at 7700ft and range is just little lower and I try have all testing done by 11AM or earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts