Is this normal after fls brass

Lrdchaos

New to reloading and you can see where the die sized the brass and left a ring where It stopped sizing. I made sure and run my ram all the way up and screwed my fls die until it touched the ram.

yep, normal. it really didn't stop sizing there but it didn't touch either as the lower area that isn't lighter is the web/ case head and is solid other than the primer pocket. If you are sizing that last bit of brass you are vastly over pressure.

The way to set up a sizing die to full length size a case is to screw the die all the way down to the shell holder with the ram all the way up. Then back the ram away and screw the sizing die 1/8 to 1/4 a turn down more. This will allow you to take all the spring out of the press. This will make what most call the press cam over when you raise the ram all the way. Place that case into the chamber of your rifle and see how the bolt closes. If it closes easy you have sized the case enough. It looks like your case has been sized from the web of the case forward just like it should be. Back toward the rim of the case where it looks like no sizing was done is because this area is not supposed to expand. If that head area expands you are over pressure for the load.

"Is this normal after fls brass"
Yes it is.Pick up a piece of discarded brass (bigger the caliber the better) at the range. Take it home and cut it down the middle lengthwise. That'll give you first hand knowledge of why that lower portion of the case resists any attempt to resize it.

Rt2506

Really?

"The way to set up a sizing die to full length size a case is to screw the die all the way down to the shell holder with the ram all the way up. Then back the ram away and screw the sizing die 1/8 to 1/4 a turn down more. This will allow you to take all the spring out of the press. This will make what most call the press cam over when you raise the ram all the way. Place that case into the chamber of your rifle and see how the bolt closes. "

I would only set the FL die to "cam over the top" if that was the only way to size a rifle with a unusually short chamber. I don't think I could generate enough force to cam over with any of my presses if the die was set 1/4 turn past shell holder contact.

The concept of FL sizing is to size the neck and body of the brass JUST ENOUGH for a proper fit. Many chambers don't require the die to be touching the shell holder or deeper.

It is best to start with the die a 1/2 turn or so away from the shell holder and size a piece of brass. Wipe off the brass and try it in the rifle. Progressively lower the die in small increments till the brass is sized just enough to fit either with a tiny bit of bolt closure resistance or with no resistance. Depends on exactly what the user desires.

If the die is adjusted deeper than necessary then the brass will be oversized. This will result in short brass life and will also require more frequent trimming due to brass flowing towards the case mouth. Brass that is oversized will eventually have a case separation just in front of the web. This not only ruins the brass but it is unsafe. It can vent hot high pressure gasses through the rear of the firearm.

IMO Only size brass enough to fit and no more.

The OP is a new reloader and asked if the case shown was normal and was concerned that he had FULL LENGTH SIZED HIS CASE. He did not ask about part sizing or neck sizing with full length dies. I am sure that he will learn with experience. There is no need to SNIPE someones post. I have been reloading for about 40 years and did not feel the need to write a book about reloading to answer the OPs question.

Rt25-06

The problem with posting answers on a forum rather than verbally got us both into this situation. Typing information is slow and it is easy to get the wrong impression.

I also have been handloading for over 40 yr. I was a vocational teacher for over 30 years and have a propensity for sharing details with beginners maybe too much at times. I didn't want our OP to put himself in a situation where he might injure himself or damage his rifle by over sizing.

Ross

I have seen under sized brass put alot of pressure on the bolt lugs by forcing the bolt closed and caused unnecessary galling and wear on the lugs. So I think there is a happy medium...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts