Is this normal when fire forming? See pic.

Despotes

I'm using Lapua 250 gr factory loads to fire form 338 Lapua Improved brass, but noticed some cratering. Am I getting higher pressures due to the fire forming process? I hate to think Bartlein screwed up the chambering job.

a>

They don't look too flat, so I'm guessing your firing pin hole is slightly over sized.
Could be pressure, but I don't see any major problems..

They don't look too flat, so I'm guessing your firing pin hole is slightly over sized.
Could be pressure, but I don't see any major problems..

I hope it's just the firing pin hole. Pressure signs before I even begin handloading to 338 Improved velocities would be very bad.

Can you feel little crush fit when you chamber it? I don't see anything that would slow me down though if your fire forming and don't have the case held tight on the bolt face you do see a little bit more signs on the primer sometimes.

Looks like soft primer cups to me. Try a different primer and see if you get the same results.

My rifle does the same thing (cratered primers) with every shot no matter the load. If your getting that with factory ammo I would not worry about it unless you see other signs of pressure

My rifle does the same thing (cratered primers) with every shot no matter the load. If your getting that with factory ammo I would not worry about it unless you see other signs of pressure

If you are fining factory ammo in an Ackley chamber, I can guaranty you are not over pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.