Elk, Caribou, Moose, and Bear Rifle

rich219

Next year I'm hunting out west for muleys and I think I might head out for elk too. 2015 I am planning on heading to AK to hunt caribou and black bear. Within a few years I also plan to head to AK for grizzly and moose.

I am looking for one rifle that will handle all of the above. Right now I'm looking at the Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter in 338WM.

Only concern is the 20" barrel.

What will be the effective range of this rifle with the 338WM round and a 20" barrel?

I'm open to suggestions on other rifles as well. I'm not looking for a custom built rifle though.

Effective range with reloaded bullets would be around 700 to 800 yards with proper bullets and reloaded ammunition. I would suggest a 375 HH lots of Alaska guides prefer the 375 for big bears and moose. But all animals can be killed with a well placed shot. A 300 win mag with proper optics and ammo with a well placed shot can be a 1500 yard gun. It all depends on your skills and experience.

Thanks for the reply, 700-800 yards far exceeds any practical shot I could see myself taking.

300WM was my other choice. Is the "stopping" power of the 338WM preferred to that of the 300WM?

The gun that I would be using in your situation is my Remington sendero in 300 ultra mag.

While I'm a huge 7mm fan. When you have bear(the big mean brown kind)in your list, and moose. Let's get more pow. 325 WSM would be great. My first choice, after that a 30 cal magnum or a 338 something.

I think I will end up with the 338WM.

It will probably come down to either a Remington 700 or Winchester M70? Any clear cut winner over these two models?

.300 WSM, Win, Wby, Dakota, RUM. 200 Accubond. 338's better for moose and brown bear. Compromises...

I prefer the 20" barrels up here. Also I would like to say that I think you are hard pressed to go with a better cartridge/ caliber than the 338 Win mag, with a quality hunting bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.