Meanwhile on RS they're killin bear, deer, elk , and moose with .223 and 77gr TMK.

They apparently also don't care about how much meat is wasted.

Not saying it's not possible, hunted with a guy who use a 22lr or 22 WMR, killed just about everything that walked here locally and in Louisiana.

To each his own, I want a bullet that acts like a mechanical broadhead, slices cleanly thru and you can literally watch them bleed out within a few yards and destroys little to no meat.

One of you knuckleheads take my idea, develop and patent it and we'll make you rich 🤣

Of the guys who I work with here, the last 5 moose, 5 deer, and 5 bears, were taken with either a 30-30, 243, or 6mm, nothing larger for a cartridge.
If someone is a good marksman, then they shouldn't need a huge bullet to go hunting normal animals in north america. Maybe a rhino or elephant, but last I checked there weren't any in my backyard.

Last edited:
They apparently also don't care about how much meat is wasted.

Not saying it's not possible, hunted with a guy who use a 22lr or 22 WMR, killed just about everything that walked here locally and in Louisiana.

To each his own, I want a bullet that acts like a mechanical broadhead, slices cleanly thru and you can literally watch them bleed out within a few yards and destroys little to no meat.

One of you knuckleheads take my idea, develop and patent it and we'll make you rich 🤣
If you look at the terminal pictures the internal damage is impressive. Vitals look look like what you would want a mechanical broadhead to do.

Don't know about bigger game but the 77 tmk will flat stop coyotes in their tracks, I am sure they will do the trick on deer but I prefer a super magnum...250 savage with 90 grain hammers LOL

I bought 500 of those little pixie nuggets when they came back in stock. I also bought a case of the 77gr blue tipped TRU/TMK loaded Federal factory ammunition. My short gas 8 twist won't stabilize them. It's losing too much velocity. Box stated velocity was 2730fps, I never saw within 100fps of that and IIRC, LR stated 2590/2595ish. The 3rds I did fire, the first on a 50yd target never saw impact to paper, hit the dirt back stop, the next two I fired keyholed at 25yds. It was disappointing.

That thread has me wanting to build a bolt gun around that bullet or have a fast twist AR barrel spun up to fit a stripped BCM upper receiver in the toolbox. There are plenty of healthy pigs running thru the river bottom to test them on.

There is no denying that bullet is capable of taking any North American game in the right hands, plenty of guys and girls over there have proved it, it is a very destructive little pill and handily disproves the myth most have about "target" bullets not working on game effectively.

If you haven't read that thread, it is a great time waster and there are some very surprising "harvests" at distances most people would never consider with anything less than a 6.5/7mm bullet. It is an eye opener for sure. The first time I read it, it was less than 50 pages, now it's 250+.

If you look at the terminal pictures the internal damage is impressive. Vitals look look like what you would want a mechanical broadhead to do.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed, it's the damage to the shoulder meat when hitting bone. Those that hit the sweet spot behind the shoulder see very little of that excessive damage, but you are correct, it absolutely destroys the internal organs.

I want a bullet that has our current long range bullet accuracy with the properties of the older soft point bullet's ability to make a small entrance, mushroom to twice or more it's original diameter and hit the light switch on the way out with very little to no wasted meat.

I bought 500 of those little pixie nuggets when they came back in stock. I also bought a case of the 77gr blue tipped TRU/TMK loaded Federal factory ammunition. My short gas 8 twist won't stabilize them. It's losing too much velocity. Box stated velocity was 2730fps, I never saw within 100fps of that and IIRC, LR stated 2590/2595ish. The 3rds I did fire, the first on a 50yd target never saw impact to paper, hit the dirt back stop, the next two I fired keyholed at 25yds. It was disappointing.

That thread has me wanting to build a bolt gun around that bullet or have a fast twist AR barrel spun up to fit a stripped BCM upper receiver in the toolbox. There are plenty of healthy pigs running thru the river bottom to test them on.

There is no denying that bullet is capable of taking any North American game in the right hands, plenty of guys and girls over there have proved it, it is a very destructive little pill and handily disproves the myth most have about "target" bullets not working on game effectively.

If you haven't read that thread, it is a great time waster and there are some very surprising "harvests" at distances most people would never consider with anything less than a 6.5/7mm bullet. It is an eye opener for sure. The first time I read it, it was less than 50 pages, now it's 250+.
I've been loading the 73 gr ELDM in my 20" 1-7" twist AR. It's been killing game also but is slightly more frangible. If my chrono would be more reliable I'd give an accurate velocity. My best guess is 2700 fps and I'm not near some published loads. Slight flattening of the primers, no ejector marks and around 3/4 MOA. 200 yard zero and I made a 750 yard first shot hit on coyote steel using mildot holdover.

I'm am one for using a small caliber for game you probably shouldn't. That being said a good shot with a small bullet is better than a bad shot with a large one. I kill lots of large game I shouldn't with 6.5 Grendel. Did it with 6x45 and 300 blk. But the margin of error goes away real quick. You may get away with it 100 times but the one that does get away always leave you thinking should I have used a bigger round.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed, it's the damage to the shoulder meat when hitting bone. Those that hit the sweet spot behind the shoulder see very little of that excessive damage, but you are correct, it absolutely destroys the internal organs.

I want a bullet that has our current long range bullet accuracy with the properties of the older soft point bullet's ability to make a small entrance, mushroom to twice or more it's original diameter and hit the light switch on the way out with very little to no wasted meat.
The older Nosler "Solid Base" designed bullet might be that option. Unfortunately they stopped production once the Ballistic Tip was established. I'm with you on staying off the shoulder. Or a Ballistic Tip jacket with it's solid base and a newer VLD design and weight.

Of the guys who I work with here, the last 5 moose, 5 deer, and 5 bears, were taken with either a 30-30, 243, or 6 prc, nothing larger for a cartridge.
If someone is a good marksman, then they shouldn't need a huge bullet to go hunting normal animals in north america. Maybe a rhino or elephant, but last I checked there weren't any in my backyard.
I only get one kick at connecting with my targeted game therefore I want maximum performance down wind on the connecting end. Can't go wrong with 7mm or .308 caliber if you don't mind the recoil. Yes a .222 Rem. will kill just about anything 'if' I have the right set up. That is rare for me.

I had a rem 700 223 fitted with a 24" 7.5 twist bartlien 3b it's super accurate with the 77 tmk, I also have ar with an 8 twist but haven't tried them in it yet..probably do the same as yours, several years ago I loaded some 162 ELD M for my daughter's 7mm-08 and after inspecting the first two deer she killed I was sold on them for a hunting bullet..at least at those speeds