They're back at it on RS. .223/5.56 using the 69 gr TMK on game!

As a caveat to that mass rule of thumb, that obviously contradicts what we're talking about here with 69 and 77 grain .224" bullets. You'd need around 92gr in a .224" to get .260 in sectional density.

So that's where the discussion about them producing more blood loss than anything else comes in. Plus, I've seen the more narrow 22cal bullets behave a bit differently and have a bit more structural strength as a result and still penetrate well with less sectional density than in my time of thumb.
Petey you mention a 90+ grain bullet required for a SD of .260. Any chance you have sectioned a 90 grain ATip bullet? I have a 7 twist 22-250 AI I'm thinking of loading some for.

A link, or even better yet, if you start a whole new thread on the 243 here, with a link, would be great.
I'm a 243 fan.
I'd just go look on the RS forum. Here's some of the main ones but there's a bunch of other threads too. The power of the cup and core!

I'd just go look on the RS forum. Here's some of the main ones but there's a bunch of other threads too. The power of the cup and core!

Hey man don't hate on the 25cal thread!! 😂

The great thing about the RS thread is that it's mainly about application and results rather than theory and conjecture. A point that ought not be missed though is that there is actually a cluster of bullets that perform similarly - the 73/75/80 ELDM and 77TMK (and such like) and then another cluster that are lighter or different but still "good enough" for clean kills and performance out of all proportion to their size (e.g 55 grn Game King types and some softer more "explodey" monos).
Ive shot deer out to 300 hundred yards with the 55 Gamekings etc with careful lung shots. And many even further with the first cluster I mentioned.
Bullets have changed, but more-so attitude and application
Well said

Surprised that the bullet made it to the off-side.
Equally surprised that the deer got 50yrs with that level of trauma.

The 77TMK shoots well in my Savage 112BVSS but the loaded cartridges are too long to close the top on the plastic ammo box. Went back to the non-tipped version. LOL
A crowd of of used the 220 Swift for a long time, the deer would run in a straight line for about 50 yard and the fall over, no blood trail but the insides were mush, we just payed close attention to which way they ran

Well, well, well, lol. I found about 200-300 Nosler 69 gr Custom Comps in the garage. I'm sure they're seconds. Looks like I'll be doing some load development for them in my M4. The 73 gr ELDM in my 20" AR shooting about 3/4 moa. Good enough for a first round hit on steel coyote at 750 yards.

Recent Posts