Meanwhile on RS they're killin bear, deer, elk , and moose with .223 and 77gr TMK.

That 73gr and the 88gr ELD bullets are just as destructive and alot easier to find than the TMK.
There's a way to use the 75 ELDM in an AR15 but requires some modification done to the magazine, lower, upper, and barrel. I got some 75 gr ELDM's to test seated out to two lengths. If they shoot better than the 73 gr ELDM's I might do the mods to my AR. In a bolt rifle with the right twist it's a no brainer.

Bob Hagel once wrote a few words that should be engraved in the mind of every big-game hunter. He stated, "You should not use a cartridge that does the job when everything goes right; you need one that works when everything goes wrong."

Bob Hagel once wrote a few words that should be engraved in the mind of every big-game hunter. He stated, "You should not use a cartridge that does the job when everything goes right; you need one that works when everything goes wrong."

You can find that quote numerous times in that very thread linked.

I've been loading the 73 gr ELDM in my 20" 1-7" twist AR. It's been killing game also but is slightly more frangible. If my chrono would be more reliable I'd give an accurate velocity. My best guess is 2700 fps and I'm not near some published loads. Slight flattening of the primers, no ejector marks and around 3/4 MOA. 200 yard zero and I made a 750 yard first shot hit on coyote steel using mildot holdover.
Now is a good time to buy a used labradar. Check the classifieds. I saw one for $325.00 shipped with a nice ultrepod & soft case.

Just my humble opinion to my friends here, but for me, using a caliber that is generally considered way too small, is as incorrect as using a caliber that is way bigger and mor powerful that necessary, and the shooter cannot control it. With the exception of the top 2 or 3 percent of the excellent precise shooters (present company included here ) who can take big game with small calibers, the rest of the hunting population who shoot three rounds or LESS a year prior to the hunt, should be discouraged from attempting such a feat. I am sorry to say I know way too many "Hunters " who literally shoot one or two rounds at a 10 inch target at 100 yards, If they print in the black, they say the ,magic words. "Thats a Dead Deer ". and that's it!!! A box of bullets should last 4 or 5 years. I think the game deserves far better consideration that that. A small miss with a small light bullet, can result in a wounded animal, and the same hold true for the guy using his 300 Win or Weatherby mag, once a year, and hitting the deer way too far back, causing a long tracking job, and a delayed death of the animal. With so many correct and suitable calibers and bullet weights available, why not use what is generally time honored , and considered appropriate. Unless, of course , you are among that 2 or 3 percent who are exceptional shooters. I , for one, need my 270 Win for whitetail. I always will. Just my humble opinion,

22GT w. 77TMK @ 3200fps.

Wrecks coyotes from 320 to 696 to date. 11 so far this fall, and I haven't even started predator hunting yet. Just targets of opportunity.
20230830_110949.jpg