Caliber for Deer and Elk

Just to up the ante a little it looks like this coming year us 270 guys should have some high BC options coming online, some will require a faster twist but some should stabilize in a 1-10, the best of the lot would be the 169.5 Wildcat which should run in the 2900-3000fps range with a BC of .740 ish. That combo frankly smokes the 338 Win on all levels possible, and also out runs all but the big 7mms.
It should make a very viable LR rifle in a very manageable weight and recoil package!

people kill deer and elk every year with a 243, 257 bob, 2506 so these guys saying a 300 mag is too light for deer way out are just magnum jockeys..........no offensegun)
300 mag or even better 300wsm with a good bullet like the TTSX or accubond will flat smoke a deer or elk out to any reasonable ranges one should be shooting at. My current everything gun is a 300 wsm with 165 gr TTSX, so far bear, elk, mule deer, and whitetail have never lived to tell me it wasnt enough gun.
Now if you want to shoot elk at 1000 yards sure step up to the cannon but tell the old guys who kill their elk every year with a 270 or a 3006 that they dont have enough gun....................well I think a famous guy shot elephants with a 7 X 57 mauser all day long:D
put the shot behind the shoulder and they will die, mess up the shot and a cannon doesnt mean it will make up for your mistakes.

Just to up the ante a little it looks like this coming year us 270 guys should have some high BC options coming online, some will require a faster twist but some should stabilize in a 1-10, the best of the lot would be the 169.5 Wildcat which should run in the 2900-3000fps range with a BC of .740 ish. That combo frankly smokes the 338 Win on all levels possible, and also out runs all but the big 7mms.
It should make a very viable LR rifle in a very manageable weight and recoil package!

I think I might try them in my 270 mag this summer to see what they do. I have no idea what the twist rate is but it seems to favor 150 grain bullets over 130's.
gary

people kill deer and elk every year with a 243, 257 bob, 2506 so these guys saying a 300 mag is too light for deer way out are just magnum jockeys..........no offensegun)
300 mag or even better 300wsm with a good bullet like the TTSX or accubond will flat smoke a deer or elk out to any reasonable ranges one should be shooting at. My current everything gun is a 300 wsm with 165 gr TTSX, so far bear, elk, mule deer, and whitetail have never lived to tell me it wasnt enough gun.
Now if you want to shoot elk at 1000 yards sure step up to the cannon but tell the old guys who kill their elk every year with a 270 or a 3006 that they dont have enough gun....................well I think a famous guy shot elephants with a 7 X 57 mauser all day long:D
put the shot behind the shoulder and they will die, mess up the shot and a cannon doesnt mean it will make up for your mistakes.

I don't think anybody is saying that a 25-06 or a 6.5-06 isn't capable of killing elk. But I think what they are trying to say is that the bullet construction maybe a little light. It takes a pretty good bullet to break the shoulder bones on a bull elk.

The guy that shot elephant with a mauser cartridge was Bell if memory serves me right. And I think he killed several with a 6.5x57 mauser. But he was also extremely close to the target. Capstick did a thing on him many years ago.
gary

A huge muley is in the class of a calf elk. The two animals can hardly be compared as to
what will reliably bring them down and at what yardage. I like to see 1000 ft lbs + for
deer at longer ranges and 1300 minimum for elk. And even 1300 ft lbs. is a little light for some of the ranges guys are shooting these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.