Elk/Moose Rifle Build Advice

Jaredk03

I started "long range" about a year ago, and have learned a lot from reading on this site and all of the great advice. I keep coming across these awesome looking and performing rifle builds, and now I really want something more custom. Right now I am shooting a Rem 700 American Wilderness in 7 RM. Its a good factory rifle, and I can get sub MOA with my handloads when I'm doing everything right (smallest 0.35" so far, but mostly just under 1"). What I want is something with a little more punch for moose/elk, more accuracy potential, while still keeping the rifle only weight around 8 lbs for mountain hunting. Some of my initial questions (sorry I have quite a few!) for those that have gone this route:

Caliber - really interested in Sherman wildcats (338 SS?), but open to others too?
Action - Not really ready for a custom action yet, thinking about Tikka, Savage or Trued 700?
Barrel - Prefit or not? I would like to do prefit to save some time and $$, but not if it will significantly sacrifice accuracy. Want to stay around 24" without loosing too much velocity. Sporter contour or something slightly heavier? Definitely threaded for brake. Favorite barrel makers?
Stock - Stockys Classic Sporter 26 oz Carbon Fiber, B&C Alaskan/Medalist, Manners EH-3/4, others?

Trying to keep the cost down as its my first semi-custom rifle, but definitely want to take a step up from my factory 700. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks everyone!

I was in your boat and wanted the same things, I did a 338 SS on a Remington 700. Look through my thread and there is a bunch of info on Doc's rifle as well, his is a tikka with a bit more throating to get the most out of the 338SS. Rich was working on prefits as well.

I built off a savage actions (stevens actually) with a Manners EH3, Benchmark #3 barrel in 7mm mag, and another 300 win mag barrel from McGowen to swap out. Both barrels are 1/4 moa and the gun weighs in under 7.5 lbs. APA micro bastard brake tames the recoil very well. Having said all that, I'd have a hard time re-building the same rifle when the semi-custom market has exploded in the past few years and a guy can buy a similarly priced rifle with even better components. Seeking Precision and Fierce make pretty sweet looking rifles right out of the gate!

I've done a couple of builds too and they turned out pretty accurate 1/2 moa or less. I wouldn't do another build with the semi customs out their either because I don't think I can build the same thing for the same money. A Seekins Havok PH1 in 300wm (7.3 pounds) would be awesome and accurate! At around 2k it is hard to beat; I don't have one...yet.

Anything 300-358 caliber will work well, depending upon what range you want to shoot. The 358s really hit with authority but there are not high BC options for long range.

If you have the basic tools, I highly recommend the prefit route. I mainly order Savage and Remage from McGowen, with excellent results, though I have used Shilen with equal accuracy potential. Both options have cleaned up great. And once you have the tools it's essentially free to build your next 5 rifles!

I would Remage your 700 action, I've done 3 and each shot sub 1/2 moa without being trued.
If you don't want to buy the tools a smith can install it in 5 minutes.
Add a timney trigger and a Bell and Carlson, or carbon fiber stock from Pendelton's, and you'd have a shooter.
I would recommend McGowen or Match Grade Machine, my 7x300 wsm from MGM is ridiculously accurate.
IMG_20181101_1954437_rewind.jpg

A hot 7mm is a great long range elk killer, but if you want bigger check out the 300 wsm..
you could throat it way out there in your long action for the heavies.

Quick cost for a pre fit Remage:
Barrel and nut $375
Pendelton Carbon fiber stock $650
Timney trigger $100
Headspace gauge $35
Barrel installation $20 (from my smith).
Using your action it'll cost you $1200 ish for a custom with a fast twist, properly throated barrel,and really good custom fit stock.

If you have a standard long action, skip the Sherman Shortmag and go strait Sherman, that way you just have to use .270 brass and it is much more plentiful and cheap, instead of paying the premium for ss brass. Should have very similar ballistics.

I was in your boat and wanted the same things, I did a 338 SS on a Remington 700. Look through my thread and there is a bunch of info on Doc's rifle as well, his is a tikka with a bit more throating to get the most out of the 338SS. Rich was working on prefits as well.

Ruby76 your thread was the one that got me thinking about the 338 SS. That's a nice rifle you've built! I see you and Doc are both running heavier contours than what I was thinking for a mountain carry rifle. Would you think a lighter contour/24" would still give good performance and accuracy in the 338 SS? I am planning on using a brake, but also wondering what you think the recoil level would be like in a lighter 8 lb rifle? Couldn't tell if your using a short action, but any issues with COAL in yours?

Ruby76 your thread was the one that got me thinking about the 338 SS. That's a nice rifle you've built! I see you and Doc are both running heavier contours than what I was thinking for a mountain carry rifle. Would you think a lighter contour/24" would still give good performance and accuracy in the 338 SS? I am planning on using a brake, but also wondering what you think the recoil level would be like in a lighter 8 lb rifle? Couldn't tell if your using a short action, but any issues with COAL in yours?

I think a lighter contour would be fine, something a bit heavier than a sporter would do. I shot mine without a brake at first, was easily manageable but I plan on shooting it a bunch so put on a brake. Now, it is super tame, feels about like the 260 I used to have. It's exactly what I wanted, performance without huge case capacity. Mine is a short action with an accurate mag so I have just shy of 3" to work with. I'm seating at 2.940-50 with the 250 bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.