Eld-x vs berger...

Killed 4 120-150 LB dressed does this weekend with the 143 at launch velocity of 2800 and impact of 1500-2500. Worked well in all shots. Also worked well on porcupine out to 1242 yds. Killed 7 porkys from 520 to 1242. All expanded and left perfect tracks in a smaller critter. All were large porkys and let bullets open up.

After several animals taken with my 300WM using the Berger Hunting 210VLD's I decided to give the 200 ELD-X a try. The accuracy of the Bergers was excellent but medium sized animals taken at ranges to 700 yards with the Bergers gave me concern. While the animals were recovered, wound channels indicated little to no internal expansion with pencil sized entrance and exits. I loaded 200gr ELD-X's using the same recipe that I use with the Bergers; Norma case, 79gr Retumbo, 215M, .020" off the lands. Results indicate accuracy, velocity, and ES is comparable to those of the Berger 210's. I haven't evaluated long range drop data, or taken any game with the 200gr ELD-X yet.

On the other hand, my hunting results to 1000+ yards with the 140 Berger Hunting VLD's and 140 JLK's in my 6.5x284's have been excellent with 1" entrance, 2" exits on medium game, usually DRT. For this reason I have not been motivated to switch to the ELD-X in my 6.5x284's, but will probably test them at some point based on the positive reviews.

AVG velocity of 200gr ELD-X in my 300WM, 24" bbl, Remington 700 Milspec.- 2890FPS, 10 shot ES, <11FPS.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Curious if the Eld Match would work better, as the x seem to be a little too expansive... Thinking of trying the 225s in my new 300 Win. Although it could just be a bone hit and reduced impact as to why you saw such different performance Cobra. Time will tell I guess.

Maybe so. The 143gr ELD-X performed similarly on deer in this cartridge as the 120gr Nosler BT's performed out of my 260 Rem. Next cartridge I will try them in is 26 Nosler next year on deer. I'm so used to the deer dropping in their tracks with my 300. I also plan on playing around with the 220gr ELD-X in my 300RUM. I've been extremely happy with the 180gr Swift Scirocco performance in my 300 with one shot and dropped out to 600yds so far that haven't looked beyond that bullet in that rifle. Time will certainly tell and if these tips are truly the breakthrough they are it is likely just a matter of time before other manufacturers follow suit and if so I'll stick with the bullets that I have been getting great performance from such as the Scirocco.

This past season I observed family along with my friends using my rifles testing ELD match bullets on game.

2 Elk and 1 deer taken with 285 grain ELD match launched out of a 338 RUM at 2825 FPS. Bullet proves to be very explosive with minimal penetration. (didn't expect it too)

1st elk-350 yards, heart shot, bullet found on offside hide weighed 140 grains.
2nd elk-20 yards, neck shot, pass through, 1 inch entrance 5 inch exit.
Deer-764 yards, high shoulder/spine had 3 inch exit, almost severing the entire spinal column.

2 elk and 1 deer taken with 140 ELD match launched out of a 6.5 creedmoor at 2725 FPS.
1st elk-250 yards, shot was too far back in the gut, full pass through with 2 inch exit. (new shooter, too excited)
2nd elk-212 yards, high shoulder shot, jacket separation with lead core exiting out the other high shoulder blade on the off side.
Deer-354 yards, perfect behind the crease of the shoulder, 1 inch entrance (hit rib) complete jacket separation along with fragmentation-lead core exited.

After a full year of family and friends taking game with the ELD match, I have found these to work exceptionally well when placed right. One should note these are very explosive, while I do not think one should hit heavy bone with these, they have continually shown they can penetrate adequately enough to reach the vitals when kept under 2700 FPS. the fragmentation of the bullets show extensive wounding to the lungs making for quick clean kills when placed right.

I put them right into the same category for terminal ballistics of the berger hunting VLD.

North Idaho was all those bullets ELD Match or where they the ELD-X bullets?

Hopefully today in a little bit I'm going to go out and see what the ELD-X 220 bullet will do/or what I can do at farther than 1000yards out of my Rum. I have a few rock out to somewhere in the range of 13 to 1500yrds to setup on. Provided the wife doesn't have other plans. I also need to get me a recorder so I can always see what I'm doing. Maybe a few more toys to buy. :rolleyes:

Got out today and was doing some rock shooting. Distance was 1678 giveor take about 10 to 15 yards. I was getting some wash out on the range finderand had to range from one spot to my target then back to where I wanted tosetup at. Also my battery was running out and eventually went dead. I neverreally got on target from what I could tell. I seem to be dancing around thespot I was trying to hit. Right about 1.5MOA around the spot I was trying tohit. I was a little nervous since I had another group of guys right next to meskeet shooting. I hate shooting with a large group around. Someone was actuallyin my usual spot I go to which was a first in over a year. I think with alittle more practice I can get the gun/me hitting the mark. Also I noticed someof my 7mm ultra mag brass (never fired yet shorter necks) that I had necked upwas not as consistence at the 3x fired brass. This was the first time actuallyshooting at this distance. I was dialing 45.5 to 46 MOA. Shooting my 300RUMwith 220 ELD-X. So I would say they are definite capable of getting there. Ijust need some more practice. Well after being a little disappointed I pulledout the 6.5x284 and hammered some closer rocks at 855. This seem to be donewith ease not to mention it's also my favorite gun to shoot. Anyways still agood day.

This doesn't surprise me. I suspect that's why Hornady factory ammunition only loads the 220gr for the 300 RUM.

My experience with the ELD-X thus far has only been the 143gr 6.5mm bullets. They both did their job but the animals did travel some before going down. The one deer it passed completely through the lungs and through the animal and I saw it hit behind the animal in the field. The second deer taken with one had a golf ball sized entry hole. I suspect it hit a rib on it's entry. Cartridge is a wildcat 30-30 necked down to 6.5mm with velocity right around 2400 for reference. I'm used to my 300RUM and the animals just dropping on the spot with 180gr Swift Scirocco. I'm going to be loading and testing the 220gr ELD-X in the 300RUM.

I loaded. 2 strings using H1000 in one and Retumbo in the other and set them at 3.900 like Hornaby has listed for the c.o.l and see if they shoot any better.

One thing to note for as the load I posted was all Remington brass not the Norma brass. Everyone states you need to back down a whole grain on the Norma brass. I think my 220 load is running about 100 to 125fps faster than the factory loaded stuff.

Thank you. I was working on a load for the 175 and hadn't found anything that I felt confident in before heading to the high country for elk. I instead chose to shoot a Berger and was not the least bit impressed. I put 3 rounds through him at 520 yards and not a single bullet opened up for me. The final shot that put him down passed through his shoulders and exited with a hole no larger than a dime. Upon walking up to him, I had to put a ballistic tip through him at 10 yards to put him down for good. So yea, as far as Bergers shoot they are incredible, but killing left a bad taste in my mouth.
My load for the 175 was at 67.4 gr H-1000 Federal 215 and Hornady brass. Pushing them at 2940 @ about 1 MOA. I wasn't seeing any pressure, but started really light and just ran out of time before the hunt.
My 180 eld-m load with H1000 for 300 WM is 79 grains. I use 75.5 of H1000 for. 208 ELD -M.

Thank you. I was working on a load for the 175 and hadn't found anything that I felt confident in before heading to the high country for elk. I instead chose to shoot a Berger and was not the least bit impressed. I put 3 rounds through him at 520 yards and not a single bullet opened up for me. The final shot that put him down passed through his shoulders and exited with a hole no larger than a dime. Upon walking up to him, I had to put a ballistic tip through him at 10 yards to put him down for good. So yea, as far as Bergers shoot they are incredible, but killing left a bad taste in my mouth.
My load for the 175 was at 67.4 gr H-1000 Federal 215 and Hornady brass. Pushing them at 2940 @ about 1 MOA. I wasn't seeing any pressure, but started really light and just ran out of time before the hunt.
I had the same issue until a good friend recommended running a pin drill into the cavity. It seems a lot of the time foam gets in it and plugs it up like shooting a solid.