Eld vs berger extreme range comparison

Ill stick to bergers. The ELD X ive played with have been pretty inconsistent. the 7mm 175 grain have swung + - 3 grains.

By that logic everyone should only shoot Cutting edge. Go from a 1000 yard match to the KO2 and they almost all shoot cutting edge.
I'm of course being a jerk here but still just because lots shoot one thing at a match does not mean it's the best. Often many factors come into play.

Of course cutting edge is used in king of 2 mile. Who else mass produces .375 and .416 caliber bullets with the bc needed to shoot that far? They are specialized. Other business with crop up, url shooting is still in its infancy compared to 600 and 1000yrd benchrest. If you are putting hornady and Berger at the same level regarding competition match bullets your nuts. All guns are different but Berger just makes a more consistent bullet, that's just a fact. If you don't believe me break out the calipers, comparator, and scales and decide for yourself.

Which one is going to put out similar bullets to Cutting edge? Monos are where it's at in extreme range. Barrel makers are putting out faster twist, and more consistent bore diameters, that's key to good mono loads, no gas bypass from a bore that's slightly to big. I bet one of the big three cup and core companies will break into the long range mono bullet scene. Not just the "lead free" hunting bullets, but the super sleek bullets. They better anyway, because they are being left behind when it's comes to ELR stuff.

I don't think that any of the Big 3 will really get into the Mono target bullets...the consortium's behind them will buy a company and throw money at it, easier in the long run and introduce the specialty bullets into premium ammo or sell it under their brand.

Can anyone say Berger - Nammo...American facilities..no tariffs..production facilities that could be expanded to produce Lapua products if they so wish...the potential is there..

With the ever expanding ultra long range game it's only a matter of time before multiple companies crop up. With the technology and Cnc machines where they are at in this day and age any of the major bullet manufacturers could Get into the ulr bullet game.

I have a new barrel coming, and some monos loaded to try. Im going make the switch for the extreme range stuff, mainly because after weighing and trying to sort length, it was so consistent i gave up. That's a big confidence builder.

Well the record holder used Flat liner from Warner tool. The TMKs and Bergers shoot great in my 308. I used the 147s in my 6.5. They shoot well but you would get fliers no matter what if you didn't sort them bto. I stopped sorting them and lived with it. Even with those fliers they were the best in the wind by alot in that rifle.

If Berger made a Tipped bullet I would sure try them or if Sierra would get the TMK line to compete in heavy for caliber high BC bullets I would use them!

I had great luck with the 7mm Sierra 160TMK for accuracy and deer&hog hunting with my longest kill at 710yds.

edit: keep in mind, I am a hunter and require terminal performance on animals not shooting for benchrest match
James

Last edited:
but 710 is NOT elr...its just shooting.
If Berger made a Tipped bullet I would sure try them or if Sierra would get the TMK line to compete in heavy for caliber high BC bullets I would use them!

I had great luck with the 7mm Sierra 160TMK for accuracy and deer&hog hunting with my longest kill at 710yds.

edit: keep in mind, I am a hunter and require terminal performance on animals not shooting for benchrest match
James

Eld's have been really good for killing at long range in my experience.
I've had 250 .338 Bergers fail to expand on targets between 800-1200 yards, where Eld's performed perfectly.
For long range hunting I'd take Hornady any day

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.