131 ace vs 195 eol vs 215 hybrid

257 Blackjack

I wanted to check the 25 Cal Handicap for guys running 25 SST/SAUM/PRC and ran the numbers on some common cartridges you see at the Nightforce Q Creek ELR match held annually. Turns out the 25 SST will run with the best of em.

---

The Applied Ballistics WEZ Hit Probability shows guys running Short Action Mags with 131 ACE's will fair just fine... There's a broad assumption that a guy needs a 338 Lapua or Super Mag 7mm to put rounds on target to 2000 yards. For putting energy on a living target or soft armored target that may be true, but for scoring points and winning a match with Target Flashers it is not.

ELR RIGS and RECOIL.jpg

Overall the 131 ACE fairs quite well launched from a SST, SAUM, or PRC with 60-65 grains of powder compared to bigger cases like 28 Nosler or 300 Norma with 83-93 grains of powder.

Some guys can drive the higher recoil rifles just fine but I know for me I will shoot the 10 lb recoil Short Mag setup better than the 21-32# recoil coming from the bigger Long Action Magnums.

Each of these cartridges can be ran 50-100 fps faster with powders and different barrel lengths but overall a very fair horse race. I don't mind coming in at 2nd in Wind in this setup considering how much less powder and recoil a guy has to accept to come out ahead.

131 195 215 ELR SCENARIO DROP.png

131 195 215 ELR SCENARIO WIND DEFLECTION.png

To saddle up in High Performance 25 Cal a guy will need a 1:7.5" Twist Blank like those coming in early April from Bartlein Barrels, Inc & Hawk Hill Custom & Rock Creek Barrels, Inc. & Blake Barrel And Rifle and a 25x284 (3100-3200 fps), 25 SAUM (3250-3350+), 25 PRC, or 257 WBY (3300-3400+) Reamer which are all coming in about 1-2 months from JGS and Manson

The Bartleins and Reamers are selling F A S T !!!

We ordered as many as we could afford knowing how the last batch sold out.

We originally put up $10,000 for the top shooter running Blackjack Bullets if he or she Wins, but I wanted to give everyone with a quarterbore a shot at some $$$, so here's a pic of the $2,570.00 I pulled for the Top Blackjack Bullets shooter no matter where they place in the match

cash.png

I truly hope 25 cal wins this year and jumpstarts the realization of what it can do in both Long Range Hunting and in the Competition theater.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've always had a thing for the quarter bore. 25x284 sounds intriguing.

In your approximations wouldn't the saum outrun the prc?

Interesting. I've always had a thing for the quarter bore. 25x284 sounds intriguing.

In your approximations wouldn't the saum outrun the prc?

I have not crunched the numbers. They will both run 3300-3400 fps and I think of them as equivalents. Even at 25 Creedmoor speeds the difference between cartridges is outweighed by the skill and practice of the shooter. All three of these cartridges carry enough energy for ethical kills for most hunting situations.

There are more makers of SAUM brass than ever so I lean that direction, but I am currently running 25 SST.

I have not crunched the numbers. They will both run 3300-3400 fps and I think of them as equivalents. Even at 25 Creedmoor speeds the difference between cartridges is outweighed by the skill and practice of the shooter. All three of these cartridges carry enough energy for ethical kills for most hunting situations.

There are more makers of SAUM brass than ever so I lean that direction, but I am currently running 25 SST.
I'm thinking you have quite a thick jacket on these 131gr bullets.??

Have you ran severe RPM failure tests?

I'm thinking you have quite a thick jacket on these 131gr bullets.??

Have you ran severe RPM failure tests?

We recommend 315,000 as max but there are guys running them over 330-340k and haven't had issues yet. The barrels out there shooting right now are new and should be rather smooth. Time will tell what the RPM limit is for these but I recommend people just shoot these 3150-3350 fps.

There really are only costs without much benefit by going faster in my POV.

Ya I was just going off 6.5 saum vs 6.5 prc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts