I Continue to be Amazed with the 215 Hybrid

I will shoot the biggest highest BC bullet I can in a given caliber as long as it is 1: accurate and 2: has decent velocity. In the 30-378 with a 230 we have seen around 3100 and were not pushing it at all. I have not loaded the 230's in the RUM but would think equal results would be easy. In my mind and experience bigger bullets kill better and faster, especially Berger bullets. Your 3044 with the 210 in your RUM is interesting. My most accurate load with a 210 in a 30-378 was 3050 and also from a 26" tube. But when we switched them to the 230's our accuracy node was at a higher velocity with less powder. I just feel the 230 is a better fit in larger cases and makes for a more efficient round. I believe smaller bullets in the larger cases are subject to a point of diminishing returns and don't take good advantage of the case volume. Remember, I always think in terms of long range first. I want the best results at the longest distances and the shorter shots will usually take care of them self with less concerns.

I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in barrel life between the 210 and a 230. At least not something we can put a finger on and especially at the velocity you are running yours. Remember, it is the heat that does most barrel damage, longer life will come from letting her cool between shots and avoiding long strings of shots. Two shot groups and a cooling session will be your friend. If your rifle is showing you some 1/2 moa groups at close to 1200 yards I think you should enjoy that load for a while. I would take a hard look before I would change anything. But if the 230's are catching your eye I think they will serve you better, as far as efficiency in the RUM case. That said I stacked game like cord wood from my 30-378's with 210's.

Jeff

10-4. I am happy with this load so Ill shoot it til the barrels gone, then consider the 215 or 230 on the next one. Thanks for your thoughts. And those groups your puttin down with your whinny are awesome. great shootin.

OK...all you guys talking about the Berger 215 and 230 hybrids have me itching to try some in my Sendero 300 RUM. Problem is, I just checked every on line retailer I could think of and can't find one with any of those bullets in stock.

Anybody know where I can find some?

I am shooting them out of my RUM and I am really amazed as well! I am pushing them over 3200fps and they are extremely good shooting. I am sitting on around 1000 of them cuz I don't wanna run out.

How long of a barrel in your 300 RUM? I have a 26" and am at 2985 fps. Would like a bit more speed. What is your load if you don't mind sharing?

Having a new barrel on the shelf is always a good plan no matter what you choose to chamber it in.

I would not plan on any 28" 300 win getting you 3100 with a 215 Hybrid. 2950fps or close is doable in a 28" and in rare cases like my rifle 3025 to 3050 @ 4100 als. But remember my rifle, be it Lapua brass, Defiance action, Broughton 5C being a fast tube or all of the above, is the exception, not the norm. We were over 2900 with my sons 300 win and a 210. That rifle also wears a 28" Broughton 5C. So it should go 2950 with a 215 Hybrid. Rifles in 300 win that will go over 2950 with a 210 or 215 are rare. I just fell into this one.

Jeff
I agree 290 is doable but 3100 is asking for an awful lot I push 208 GR Amax at 2985 with 79.5 gr of h1000 There seemed to be another node at 81 but that is as full as I could get the case.

Joe are you shooting a 300 Win Mag? That quote was Broz's response to my question about my 300 RUM. I was wondering if I should rebarrel to 300RUM again or go 300 Win Mag. I am only getting 2985 fps out of a 26" barrel and 91 gr H-1000!! Doesn't seem worth it to me. I am burning 10 grains more powder, for what?

With a longer barrel 30" + it's not hard to get the 215's over 3200fps. It's one of those combo's that you just wont be sorry with. I love the fact that with a 100 yard zero I can get to 1000 with less than 20MOA. that is fast and flat.

This is my first kill with the 215 bergers out of a 308 win trying to see how far you can effectively push the old 308 during load work I pushed the 215 bergrrs to 1500 yards and still maintained moa on paper with a 5 shot group measuring 13.87 inches center to center I am absolutely amazed with these bullets this is a pix of a coyote I shot yesterday at 1107 with the bullet leaving the barrel at 2475

This is my first kill with the 215 bergers out of a 308 win trying to see how far you can effectively push the old 308 during load work I pushed the 215 bergrrs to 1500 yards and still maintained moa on paper with a 5 shot group measuring 13.87 inches center to center I am absolutely amazed with these bullets this is a pix of a coyote I shot yesterday at 1107 with the bullet leaving the barrel at 2475

Wow...nice shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.