MRAD vs. inches vs. MOA

Mike300wby

Please check my sanity.

If my app said the bullet needs to come up 425inches at 1200 yards then this would be 9.8 MRAD and 33.8 MOA?

I am using (drop in inches/3.6)/(distance in yds/100). = MRAD

Is this correct?

Thanks!

For MOA just divide the range in yards by the number of inches in 1 MOA at the target's range. In this case 425/12 = 35.4 MOA.

Or, multiply the number of MILs by 3.6.
3.6 x 9.8 = 35.3.

For your MIL calculation you could have made it simpler by dividing the inches of drop by the number of inches in a MIL at 1200 yards.

1 MIL at 100 yards is approx 3.6 inches, multiply that by the number of yards in hundreds of yards
12 x 3.6 = 43.2 inches per MIL at 1200 yards.

Divide the drop by the number of inches per MIL at 1200 yards
425/ 43.2 = 9.8 MILs.

My software iStrelok gives me these numbers also. Sp6x6, What did you get for MOA? I want to see where I am off.

For MOA just divide the range in yards by the number of inches in 1 MOA at the target's range. In this case 425/12 = 35.4 MOA.

Or, multiply the number of MILs by 3.6.
3.6 x 9.8 = 35.3.

For your MIL calculation you could have made it simpler by dividing the inches of drop by the number of inches in a MIL at 1200 yards.

1 MIL at 100 yards is approx 3.6 inches, multiply that by the number of yards in hundreds of yards
12 x 3.6 = 43.2 inches per MIL at 1200 yards.

Divide the drop by the number of inches per MIL at 1200 yards
425/ 43.2 = 9.8 MILs.
No, your math is all wrong.

My vortex manual was saying 1mrad = 3.44MOA or 3.6 inches/100yds.

So 9.8MRAD x 3.44 = 33.7MOA.

Is the difference the rounding up or down?
Yes, the discrepancy is from rounding. The numbers I posted are not from using an approximated conversion.

Below is how you actually determine the angle:
Arctangent (425/43,200)

Yes and I had moa off value,I shoot mils.Good to know process,but I rely on my app.But I shot drop card for years and still carry.I have my round mils in my head use same rifle last ten years,out to 1000

The drop is to moa is more or less correct.

moa to mils IS=Milsx3.438
In this case it's 33.6

moa to mils= moa/3.438. Practical way for doing it.

Last edited:
I agree - your long, drawn out answer based on a complete misunderstanding of very basic math was pretty funny. What was even funnier is that you "converted" inches to MOA completely wrong, then you used a totally wrong conversion factor from MOA to mils and ended up with the right number, LOL.

Although it is a funny post, you'd do everyone a favor to delete or edit it since it's full of bad information.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.