Done some shooting today in some tricky wind.

DJ Fergus

I shot a couple of rifles today with some tricky wind, tricky for me anyway. Probably no so tricky for some of you guys. I had around an 8-10mph constant with it pushing on up into the teens frequently. Switching directions on me at times also. Shooting at 500 yds with a 180 7mm eld @2830fps mv & 147eld @ 3150 fps mv. I was able to stay around 1 moa with normally sub half moa loads in very little wind. Easily dead animals on all of those shots if I had been hunting but I proved to myself that I need some improvement on my down range wind reading abilities. Both the 147 & 180 drift ballistics calculate to near identical at those speeds mentioned at 500yds. Majority of the wind was from the left. I landed several 180s & 147s on top of each other with them being to the right and just a touch low. Which is what I expected with out holding for any wind. I basically wanted a non scientific-field result comparison between the two bullets at that distance.

Always good to go shoot in the wind.
A calm sea doesn't make a skilled sailor.
There really is only one way to learn, reading helps a lot, but reading can only do so much.
Wind is what makes it fun. It's easy to get hits on calm days, it's more fun to steer one in that wanted to miss by 4 feet!
Sounds like your doing well

The best and quickest way to learn to shoot in the wind is to....shoot in the wind!:) I burned a lot of components and barrel life trying to get little groups at distance so I could 'make sure it was the wind call and not the rifle'. I was told to get a load that shot .5-.75 MOA consistently and go shoot matches. I scoffed for another year or so and now I came to believe and have progressed quickly in wind reading skills. Besides, getting wind calls right and landing shots in the desired target zone in windy conditions is much more fun and satisfying than stacking them into small holes without wind. Good for you!

I have to agree with all said so far, but for me reading the wind was easy with the new VLD bullets, so I challenged myself further. I like to use my 22-250AI at 600mtr matches with 50gr Nosler BT's or 55gr Nosler BT's.
Drift of 10" is not unheard of, and if the wind is real stiff I have seen those bullets move across the whole width of the target.
Now that is a challenge.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.