Did some long range testing today

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We took our .338cal 239g Hammer Hunter and put it on a diet to get it as light as we could and still stabilize in a 10" twist. Result was a 213g bullet with a longer boat tail and a more slender nose with as secant ogive. I was able to run this bullet in my 338 Lap imp at 3490fps easily. The rain finally let up for a bit this afternoon and I ran out with Brian's boy to help me spot shots (and take a few on his turn). We found some rocks at 805 yards and at 1044 yards to shoot at and calculate drops into bc. It was quite windy but after one shot on the 805y target figured out that I needed to hold 7moa for wind and nailed it with 11moa of correction from the 200y zero. Repeated this 3 more times to be sure. Then turned to a nice rock at 1044 yards with a little less direct wind but still needed 7moa of wind hold and 17.75moa in elevation correction. We both took several shots at this 1moa rock and put a beating on it. Was pretty fun to throw a big curve ball and nail a strike each time. G7-BC came in at .266 from the drops. This makes this bullet a very tough bullet to beat out to 1000 yards due to the extra velocity that it gives.

Need to do some impact testing but with the more slender nose and the same 1.5mm hollow point it should open up more easily than the Hammer Hunters that have a tangent ogive. Looks good for this bullet.

Steve

Nice work Steve. That may be more in the right weight/b.c. class!.........Rich
What is the length?

Thanks Rich. This would be a great bullet in your 338 Sherman. I really like flat and fast so I'm really liking it in my Lapua improved for that matter.

It is 1.602" long with .84" nose.

33213HH.jpg

Steve

......This would be a great bullet in your 338 Sherman. I really like flat and fast so I'm really liking it in my Lapua improved for that matter.....................[/QUOTE said:
We've got a couple of .338 Winchesters in the group this should be ideal for.

I need to sit down with the calculator, and see where it fits with my RUM.

We've got a couple of .338 Winchesters in the group this should be ideal for.

I need to sit down with the calculator, and see where it fits with my RUM.

Harperc,

My 338 Lapua imp is slower than it should be. I will guess your rum to run them in the mid 3400's fps.

Steve

That would be faster than I've ran 225's, but I didn't work too hard at maximizing velocity.

What barrel length, and powder are you using?

225's if memory serves ran 3150 in a 26" barrel, 180's run 3550. Both Nosler AB

I was thinking 3200-3250. 3400 would definitely change the math.

Either way let me know when they're ready.

That would be faster than I've ran 225's, but I didn't work too hard at maximizing velocity.

What barrel length, and powder are you using?

225's if memory serves ran 3150 in a 26" barrel, 180's run 3550. Both Nosler AB

I was thinking 3200-3250. 3400 would definitely change the math.

Either way let me know when they're ready.

I'll get them loaded on the website tonight. Ran out of our preferred copper for hunting bullets this weekend for the 338 caliber. We have copper on order that is supposed to deliver by the end of the month. If you need them quicker for load development and shooting I can cut them now. This copper will hunt fine we just prefer a different alloy.

I have not loaded a 338 rum but base my thoughts on potential vel on my Lapua imp that gets about 100fps over the rum. 3300's should be doable looking at load data. You know some rifles are fast some are slow.

Steve

No hurry on my end-I'm mobile again, and playing catch up across the board.

Did you work up a load for the 260's in that rum? I am assuming it is the same rifle that you brought out last summer when we shot. What vel did you get out of them?

I loaded the 213's on the website so they are available to order. Anybody that places an order I will give a call and we will decide weather or not to hold your order till our 3/8" copper order arrives or cut from copper on hand. Like I said before, the copper on hand is certainly hunt worthy.

Steve

That rifle was Cody's dad"s. I didn't know he was bringing it, or we would have brought mine. I'm less sensitive, about twisting the knobs etc. LOL! He would have been more comfortable shooting it more.

Traded him the 236's for the 260's. No chance to load either one, this winter for me was without high points. Just now recovered enough to walk the stairs to my bench. We've shot mostly what we've already had loaded. Hopefully back at the bench this week.

I didn't make the Gateway Dynamite shoot this past weekend, but Cody and his dad did,with some success.

I'm excited about this new bullet, as with the standard .338 Win he shoots, it shoots great until he starts to stretch a bit, and accuracy visibly deteriorates. Past about 550, he starts using mine or his dad's rifle, and has more success.

I hope by summer, after spring bear, we can have a load for everything, and make it a Hammer weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.