Did a little shooting today

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Okay, right off the bat absolutly nothing huge happened today so if you were expecting to hear about a pdog getting killed at a mile or so then I apologize ahead of time.

Bill Bailey, Matt(distantfoe), Adam, and myself headed out in the chilly 105deg heat of western OK to do a little target practice today.

We are still working up loads with the 270AM so they didnt see much long range action. We sat out a number of trgts at 100,250,400,500, and 650yds.
Here is a pic of BJ and Matt setting up the last trgt, in the distance you can see the other scattered trgts
shooting001.jpg

We placed a steel gong at 650yds and after some initial zero conformation we took after it. The mirage was absolutly horrifying all but preventing me, the spotter, from identifying misses. but after a couple of shots Adam was on it with BJ's APS 6mm-250 and Matt was hitting it with his 300WSM.
Bj decided he needed in on the action so he grabbed his 300rum and set up to shoot. He has been testing US869 in this round and is getting around 3100fps with the 240gr SMK. todays temps were 105deg so we wanted to see what speed she would run then.

The gong is 1/2 thick steel of a unknown grade. Shots 1 and 2 from BJ connected in the high left corner of the gong **** near taking it and the t-post out of the ground!!! The speed was just over 3200fps!!!!! BJ decided it was too hot for this load and we put here up but first we had to check and see what it did to the gong.

Here is a full view of the gong with BJ's shots in the top left corner, Adams are the two shiny splashes and Matt's for some reason simply dented the gong near the center.
shooting005.jpg

here is a pic of BJ's two impacts, a clean pass through at 650yds and a near pass through. the gong was also bent around pretty substantially on the left corner
shooting006.jpg

Matt was shooting Nosler Solid Base ballistic tips and we found the *** of this bullet under the gong, kinda cool to find
shooting007.jpg

After this we sat up two canteloupes and a 12lb watermelon i picked up on the way out of town. with every body having fun on the gong i decided it was my turn to have a little expansion test on the watermelon. I shot BJ's 6mm-250 with the 105 berger at 3000fps. My first shot glanced the right side side and I adjusted .5 minute of windage into her. At 400yds the bullet entered the dead center of the melon and traveled approximatly 3/4 of the melon before coming apart. It was interesting to see the regularly fairly solid innards of the melon had been turned into a puree type substance. A good show of hydrostatic shock i guess!!!
here is the pic
shooting004.jpg

Not much need for a wound channel search!!!!!

Apparently BJ was a little jealous of my kill so he wanted the first bite, FINE i hate watermelon anyway
shooting003.jpg

BJ also shot the canteloupe with his 6mm-250, similar results but the whole cantelope was thrown 8ft up in the air!!!
shooting002.jpg

And lastly here is a pic of our shooting setup. matt, distantfoe here on the board, is cleaning his 300wsm on the left. Adam is recieving coaching from BJ in the center. And BJ is loading some bullet on the right, i almost mistook him for a leprachaun in that green shirt standing around all of us 6 foot plus giants!!!!
shooting008.jpg

Our shooting setup is a hell of a lot better now than it was last year with us shooting out of the bed of my truck

Just thought you all might enjoy some pics. All that shooting will be a lot more fun when we get out of triple digits down here

take it easy
steve

Thanks for the post and pictures, I enjoyed the reading.

One thing... In the future shoot vegetables not fruit, fruit is a food, vegetable is a nuisance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's nice to be able to put a face with a name.

Lerch,
Can you provide more detail on the RUM such as barrel length and load? Pretty impressive.

BBL is a 30" lilja, 4 groove i think. BJ will be on soon and i am sure he will talk about the load. It is definantly way to hot in these temps, but honestly how often do we all shoot in 105deg weather. I can tell you personnaly it sucks.

Last night i slept as good as I have in a month and woke up at 9:00am charged and ready to shoot. By 1:00pm I was ready to say F--- THIS and go home. Thank God for that canopy that Matt brought, it saved the day, i think it was only 101deg under there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

Dave

we need to get a better pic of Matt since he is a forum member. Probably need a better pic of BJ as well. He looks a little, ummmmmm off, in that pic!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Watermelon and veggies are in the same boat as far as i am concerned, i cant stand em. Was a shame to see a good canteloupe go down like that though

When that watermelon was hit solid it honestly looked like a horror film!!! red juice was pouring down the box it was setting on and there was a huge pink mist. Kinda like a pdog hit at 100yds times 10!!!!

take it easy
steve

Lerch:

Looks like you guys had a great time in spite of the heat. Great pics and I always enjoy posts with pictures. It makes the reading far more interesting no matter what the subject is. I just wish more guys would post pics of their outings, equipment etc.

I've got a couple of packages coming back the first of the week from Fort Shaw. Got the bench, sun shade, etc. all ready to go also. Brass is ready, Wildcats sitting here waiting to be shot, so no matter what the weather is like, when the goodies get here I'm heading for the hills. Even have a couple of new chunks of AR500 ready to go, just need to come up with some frames.

Let us know how the 195 Wildcats work out. I've got some ordered so hopefully Richard will be getting some more made up soon.

Ol' Matt, DistantFoe, has a **** nice looking rig in based on a Surgeon action built by Speedy. It is flat black with a desert camo mcmillan stock. really nice looking rig and very clean looking. I am gonna have Kirby turn my 270AM into something like it after this hunting season. I wish I would have got a pic of Matt's rig.

We were using a new bench today, BJ knows the brand, i cant think of it right now. It worked out very nicely, even in the 15-20mph wind we had. I still like shooting prone better but it was a nice break on the back.

YOu would think in that heat the wind would be kinda nice but it honestly felt like someone was blowing a hairdryer in your face!! I cant wait for cold weather.

This was also my first real outing with the NightForce scopes, gotta say I love em!!! I am shooting the NPR-2 reticle and it is the first time I have ever used a reticle to compensate and adjust for shots, works **** nice.

keep us posted about your big ol' 7mm, got a feeling you and her got good things to come.

take it easy
steve

jeffbird,

The load I shot yesterday was 102 gr US869 under the 240 smk. Friday morning w/a temp of about 80 degrees it was getting me 3100 fps w/just a little primer flow and easy extraction. Yesterday @ 105 degrees, it was getting me right @ 3200 fps w/substantial primer flow and HEAVY bolt lift. I only shot a few cause I new it was way too hot. Should be about right when the temps get down below 80.

I don't know who did the testing for Hodgdon on the US869 but they must have paid them well!! It IS temp sensitive. We'll have to wait a month or two to see how much velocity it looses when the temp drops below 50 or so. I'm going to guess that it won't be as substantial as the gain from 105 degree heat.

It's the Varmint Master bench. Kinda expensive but nice. It's not as good as concrete but for a portable bench is **** steady. I really like the pivot option as well. Much nicer that moveing everything around on the bench.

I was gonna ask ya Bill, were ya chewin around tiny pieces of jacket in that pic? Looks sorta like a dog tryin to spit a grass burr out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yea I noticed that "heat thing" about a month or so ago with the .270, could have been much worse than the pic of the cases I sent ya. If I would have had to wait till now to shoot, might not have been much left. I started it off with 102grs, and am now down to 92.5. OF course I was also getting 200+ fps over what I am now as well. Just a little to warm for our balmy swamp land down here.

And that pic of the hole in your plate, I am thinking that ours might have a very similar look in a couple of weeks when I get back up to the country. But we got a welding machine and paint so it can be all bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.