do it all rifle/caliber combo ideas

cowboy717

Hello all. I've got an old rem 700 in 7mag setting in the safe that begging to be built into something. Actually I've never shot it since i bought it for a deal over 8 years ago.
I'm looking for something to basically hunt/pack/ and shoot long range. Not a usual caliber (I want to have something not everyone i hunt with has) game will be anything I get the Hankering to go after. planning a bear hunt and wanting to go chase elk in the near future, deer, mulies and maybe a trip to new zealand.
I'm looking at barrel length of at least 28" plus break, Manners stock, Jewel trigger, etc.
calibers that come to mind have been the 7mm LRM, 300 Norma Mag.....
I'm a reloader so factory ammo will probably never be shot through the rifle.
How and what would everyones opinons be on what to build?
thanks guys

I'd be looking at the .264 Win Mag:

• Not commonly found at the range or in the hunting fields
  • Superb choice of VLD type bullets
  • Benefits greatly from the barrel lengths you are considering
  • Much lighter recoil than the options you are considering.
  • Brass can be found or easily made from 7 mag brass.

Since you mention packing said rifle, I'd be looking at something mid-weight, probably a #5 barrel, and would consider the Manners EH1 stock.

John

Hello all. I've got an old rem 700 in 7mag setting in the safe that begging to be built into something. Actually I've never shot it since i bought it for a deal over 8 years ago.
I'm looking for something to basically hunt/pack/ and shoot long range. Not a usual caliber (I want to have something not everyone i hunt with has) game will be anything I get the Hankering to go after. planning a bear hunt and wanting to go chase elk in the near future, deer, mulies and maybe a trip to new zealand.
I'm looking at barrel length of at least 28" plus break, Manners stock, Jewel trigger, etc.
calibers that come to mind have been the 7mm LRM, 300 Norma Mag.....
I'm a reloader so factory ammo will probably never be shot through the rifle.
How and what would everyones opinons be on what to build?
thanks guys
Not something your buddies have, but you obviously like the 7mm calibers...That's an easy answer.

Look into the 7mm STW. Capable from 50-1500 (if setup right, and you have the skills), works excellently with a 28"-32" barrel lengths...28" with a brake would be perfect. With a 1:9 twist, you can shoot the Berger 180 Hyrbid bullets with no issues. And would definitely make your buddies jealous.

The 7mm LRM looks to be a good caliber, and I have thought about building one, but I can't find brass for it anywhere. Not even listed on Gunwerks website...

.284/26 Nosler :D aka 7mm/26 Nosler (had to do it)

Since it's already a mag bolt face, I'll stay with that.
If you are fond of 7mm calibers, then 7 LRM, 7 STW, 7 WSM, 7/300WM or if you want a big boomer 7 RUM.

If you want to go 30cal, 300 Norma, 300 RUM, 300 WSM, 300 WM, 30-338LM.

If it were me, 308/26 Nosler. :cool:

If the head stamp must match the rifle, then 7LRM or 300 Norma seem to be the low population options, so more unusual.

If you really do appreciate something good and special that not anyone has, so go for 8mmS/'323. My recommendation in this case will be the superb 8x68S, a well known European Mag. without meaningless belt and strong performance. From deer to dangerous game everything will be easily managed. Brass is no issue at all and is produced and delivered by both RWS and Norma. :) If you prefer the "American style" go for the "BIG 8" (8mmRM)! gun)

Thanks for all the quick responses guys!. Even though I love the horsepower of the 7rum and 7STW, I want something that will last a bit longer on barrel life. I used to load for a buddies 7RUM and although it was a lazer beam with the 168gr bergers, we toasted it at just a hair over 700 rounds.
But, barrels can be replaced, :Dgun)

If you can handle the relatively short barrel life expectations, the 7STW is your answer. I have the downed game pictures to support that claim.
I'm at over 750 down the tube on mine, and I'd be willing to bet that according to my smith and his borescope, she's still got atleast another 750 in her.... :D

And mine is not a fluke, there's quite a few other members on here who have gotten well over 1200-1500 rounds out of their STW's. A trick to it is to find a good load with bigger slower heavier bullets. For example, I'm not pushing 140's at 3,400 fps....I'm pushing 180's at 3,000 fps. That will help extend barrel life significantly by using a heavier and slower velocity load.

It sure beats the 750-850 round expectations of the 7mm RUM..... No way in hell would I ever own that caliber. Especially when I can get nearly the same velocities out of the STW, with about 20 grains LESS powder.

Not something your buddies have, but you obviously like the 7mm calibers...That's an easy answer.

Look into the 7mm STW. Capable from 50-1500 (if setup right, and you have the skills), works excellently with a 28"-32" barrel lengths...28" with a brake would be perfect. With a 1:9 twist, you can shoot the Berger 180 Hyrbid bullets with no issues. And would definitely make your buddies jealous.

Mud, you are getting to predictable, when I saw you had answered I said to myself I bet he said 7 STW LOL., I bet he won't regret it.

Mud, you are getting to predictable, when I saw you had answered I said to myself I bet he said 7 STW LOL., I bet he won't regret it.
Well, it is the king of the 7's.... Too many people often overlook it.

Maybe he should run a .338 BFG? Would that be a more appropriate response? Would that be a more acceptable answer?

I've had more 7's than anything other caliber, never had a bad 7mm. Just depends what style hunting he will be doing. I had a place to hunt that the deer funneled through everyday. While hunting from the tree stand, deer sometimes were right under me and not knowing. When I first hunted this place, I had a 7 Mag, decided I didn't need it to shoot deer at 30 yds or less, 50 yds might be the max you could see. Sold it and put together a 7/08. I dropped more Bucks with that gun than all the other calibers including ML together. any 7 will do just fine. Now it's the SAUM for me, Just to **** accurate to put down. and is only 200 yds behind the STW, believe me I wasn't trying to give you hard time Mud
Not that I'm suggesting the SAUM, as he has a Long Action.
7BR (encore Pistol barrel)
7/08
7 SAUM
7 Rem Mag
7 STW

Check out the 7mm Rouge or Rogue, not sure which spelling. I believe the parent case is the 300 win mag , with some neck & shoulder improvements . Ballistics are somewhere between the 7mm Remington magnum & the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner, closer to STW velocity with less powder, & it is throated to handle the high BC 180 grain bullets. Look up " R Bros Rifles ". Looks to be one of the best 7mm's ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts