Do I really need a 50bmg?

J E Custom

I have never shot a 50 are they accurate? How hard would it be to hit a MOA target at 1000 yds?

4x

Doing a late season elk hunt in newmexico. Looks like I will have to hire a porter lol. I have a great spot to set up for long range shots. I know the 338 will do the job but maybe the 50 will work better

Kirby, Fifty driver has a current thread on a nice semi auto fifty that he likes and is happy with accuracy. Do a search here

Its on pg 2 of lrhunting thread-Serbu BFG-50 BMG good read and Kirby has lots experiance with 50 and very accuracy minded.

I'll take a Rolex Submariner over a 50BMG anyday. If it had to be a 50, it would have to be a real Vickers Water Cooled 50 BMG chambered machine gun.

Just say'in.

The Desert Tech HTI is a very good platform for 50 BMG, 416 Barrett, and 375 Cheytac. All are great ELR rounds. The HTI is extremely rigid and can support longer barrels better than any other action and has the best QC barrel system available. 50 BMG is very powerful and ammunition is available to perform many tasks.
In particular hardend targets, it is an anti material round. Military projectiles are all steel core with lead and other components for individual purposes, and have copper jackets, as such they are not very accurate because they are not well balanced, this is not an issue however in a machine gun.
The 50 BMG can be as accurate as any other round with like quality components and weapons. Check out the 50 caliber shooters association match records and see. When I started shooting 50 everything else seem like wimpy little cartridges. They are fun!

My two picks for the .50 BMG are the FN GAU-21 or the current M2A1 turret mounted in a Polaris Dagor. I plan on picking one up shortly after the collapse of society. May not be able to hold onto it long, but should be a sweet setup!

Shooting 50s is a great way to develop a flinch lol. The only way I would get a 50 is if I had some anti-materiel work that needed done…