I need your advise on a build

Call benchmark, talk to bill, kourtney, or best ron. Phone call wont cost you much and will answer your questions better than i.
I did not say it wont work, I said it will take some work to get a mag action to feed a Nosler case. It's why they have actions cut for the RUM cases I've been down this path.

Wow this thread took a hard turn.....Back to the original question If I understand the role this rifle will play in your hunting I would look at 338 edge, I agree Chad at LRI does a great job on truing a 700 action give him a call.Next the folks at Benchmark make great barrels and do excellent work, ask me how I know.The 338 edge will push a 300 grain bullet 2800 fps and is supersonic at 1 mile, and is relatively cost effective while doing so.I belive this will give you the best bang for your buck, no pun intended. P.S. get a good brake and build the rifle on the heavy side...

Last edited:
If you sell if for $200, like one poster said, I will help you out.
Don't be afraid to use a non trued, blueprinted action. Many rifles shoot amazing without that work. If I didn't do it, I wouldn't pay to have it done.

I have a 7mm that shoots like hunt-wyo describes. I thought I had it shooting, but opening weekend we got soaked and dirty. Pine needles between the barrel and stock and all that. So I removed the action, oiled and cleaned it. Went to the range to check my zero.i was about 3 inches left at 100. Adjusted the scope right and ended up at the "zero" on my turret. I didnt mess with it since I last zeroed. So I ground out all my bedding this morning and am waiting for the marine tex to set up. I might get out tomorrow and see if it did any good

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. That has never shot well. I want to scrap everything but the action and have something built. I naturally want all of the range and accuracy I can squeeze out of the 700 action.

Initial thoughts are to build a Nosler 33. I am planning on sending it to hart to have the barrel and action work done. Maybe a jewel trigger. No idea on a stock right now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on caliber or barrel companies?

I would recommend going to Hart for the barrel. I talked to them last week and they are 11 months out.
So you want him to send it to somebody who is gonna take 11 months just to put a barrel on?
I have heard good things about Hart but I'm sure theres others on here who are just as good and could do it alot quicker.
That's not even enough time to get it ready for hunting season next year.

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.

I might have missed a post but if its a rem barrel I might have one answer. I just had a similar problem with a 308 Rem barrel. I blueprinted the action. The owner (friend) didn't want to spring for a new barrel. I often set rem barrels back. This one was so far out I had to take the full tenon off it to be able to get the chamber centered on the bore. It was angled and running out .013" from a range rod indicated to .0001"! The bullets had been entering with yaw. Some seemed to straighten out in the freebore but other must have been going into the rifling at an angle and throwing crazy flyers.

the action was also a mess.

When it was all done the gun shot beautifully. no more flyers.

So you want him to send it to somebody who is gonna take 11 months just to put a barrel on?
I have heard good things about Hart but I'm sure theres others on here who are just as good and could do it alot quicker.
That's not even enough time to get it ready for hunting season next year.
Diamond T gunsmith in Idaho is a hart dealer and said he could get one done in a month. Hart is out 9-11 weeks for their barrels.

So is he staying with the 7mm mag?

gap can do the work for $380 plus the cost of a barrel if he wants to stay with the 700 action. Their services is listed on their website. Lots of good smiths to choose from though. I've talked to a lot of them so I'm not persuading him to one smith.

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.

Repurpose the barrel if it's truly bad. A good jack handle, tomato stake or tent peg is worth a lot more to me than a bad barrel! Slug the bore and make sure the tight spot is at the far end.
The fact that a couple of consecutive shots are touching makes me think something is happening between those 2 shots and the next ones. Assuming your ammo is put together right, I would look hard at the scope, bedding, barrel threading and the build of this rifle. Then [Hail Mary!] shorten the barrel by half an inch at a time and try the entire drill over again.

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. That has never shot well. I want to scrap everything but the action and have something built. I naturally want all of the range and accuracy I can squeeze out of the 700 action.

Initial thoughts are to build a Nosler 33. I am planning on sending it to hart to have the barrel and action work done. Maybe a jewel trigger. No idea on a stock right now.

I've got a 338 Edge 30" barrel on my rig right now. Load development has been done round count is 94 rounds...

it's set up for 300 gr Elite Hunters, Ive got 97 pieces of perfect ADG brass and two kegs of H 1000

Pm me if you're interested

If you want to reuse that action, 338 rum and 338 edge fill those requirements. Find a 1-9.4 ish twist barrel and run 300gr or 285 eldm.
Ever thought about a gain twist barrel.
The heavier monolithic bullets like hammer and cutting edge require a faster twist. Why not go with a 8.5-8 twist this would allow you to shoot a larger selection of bullets.
For example, the 260 grain hammer is the same length as a 300 grain Berger. The hammer is a better bullet.

I've got a 338 Edge 30" barrel on my rig right now. Load development has been done round count is 94 rounds...

it's set up for 300 gr Elite Hunters, Ive got 97 pieces of perfect ADG brass and two kegs of H 1000

Pm me if you're interested
Look at 338 norma mag IMP.
Lots of good brass available. Shorter case allows you to seat the long heavyweight bullets out further increasing case capacity and accuracy. I have a edge and had a Lapua. Like the Lapua over the edge. Both have shorter necks and require deep seating with heavy bullets. The norma's shorter case gives you two-300 hundredths extra length that u can seat your bullet out, yet fit in a Wyatt style extended mag box.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.