I need your advise on a build

Hunt-wyo

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. That has never shot well. I want to scrap everything but the action and have something built. I naturally want all of the range and accuracy I can squeeze out of the 700 action.

Initial thoughts are to build a Nosler 33. I am planning on sending it to hart to have the barrel and action work done. Maybe a jewel trigger. No idea on a stock right now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on caliber or barrel companies?

Krieger is my favorite if you have the money. Amazing people, amazing barrels and great CS.
If you are on a budget, Wilson arms makes good barrels that shoot.
For a smith, there are tons on this site that can help you out. Most guys will thread, chamber and install a blank for around $350. Good luck

If you are looking to start with just the action and get it properly trued up then purchase a quality stock, get it bedded or chassis & have a new barrel chambered for the action and then the trigger.....You are looking at a good chunk of change. With the time it would take to get a high-quality Smith to get that all finished up you could keep your eyes open in the classifieds here or over on www.accurateshooter.com and find a proven/shooting rifle on a custom action with load development and targets etc. provided from the owner and it would likely cost you a bit less than a build on your Rem action and you would be way ahead of the game with load development etc.........Just a thought......Best of luck.

Regards
Rick

What is your end goal ? A hunting rifle I'm guessing ? The type of hunting defines the rifle in my world, are you a hiking hunter, ridge runner, box blind shooter ? The end use defines the build.Possibly more information would be helpful .;)

If you are looking to start with just the action and get it properly trued up then purchase a quality stock, get it bedded or chassis & have a new barrel chambered for the action and then the trigger.....You are looking at a good chunk of change. With the time it would take to get a high-quality Smith to get that all finished up you could keep your eyes open in the classifieds here or over on www.accurateshooter.com and find a proven/shooting rifle on a custom action with load development and targets etc. provided from the owner and it would likely cost you a bit less than a build on your Rem action and you would be way ahead of the game with load development etc.........Just a thought......Best of luck.

Regards
Rick

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.
Sell it to me for cheap :)
Seriously, have someone look it over to see what you're missing. When I'm stuck, I have a fresh set of eyes look at the problem. Usually find my issue real fast :)

What is your end goal ? A hunting rifle I'm guessing ? The type of hunting defines the rifle in my world, are you a hiking hunter, ridge runner, box blind shooter ? The end use defines the build.Possibly more information would be helpful .;)
I do a considerable amount of Backcountry hunting, however, I have a Browning x-bolt long range stalker in .300 win mag I take on most of the high country excursions. The focus of this build is late season, low country, extended range elk hunting.

33 nosler may be around for a while it might not be. I would be wary of building a rifle, aka dumping a ton of money, into a rifle that may be tough to feed in the future. If you do go with the nosler I would make sure to budget for enough brass to last the barrel life. Or go with a RUM based cartridge, but even those have spotty brass availability sometimes. Though it is available from more than one company.

Make one shot kills. Sorry, o_O couldn't help myself.:oops: It is frustrating not to be able to replicate good shots. I agree, it has to be something minute being overlooked. Interference somewhere, or barrel deflection from heat....

Your 7 mag action is not gonna feed with a Nosler case unless you work on the feed lips and ramp. If your gonna do a Nosler you need the RUM action. If a Nosler case is what you want I would just sell the gun and start with the right action it will be less money in the end.
Be aware though these new RR 700 actions have zero primary extraction ask me how I know.

If Defiance would have offered the Tenacity cut for a RUM when I built my 30-28 that's what I would have gone with.

How do you know the new RR 700 actions have zero primary extraction? Furthermore, if there is no primary extraction, is it possible to have secondary extraction?
Part smarty pants, part sincere line of questioning. Keep this thread rolling. I love my Rem. 700's and would like to know deficiencies others are facing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts