I need your advise on a build

I'm a Rem fan also this RR action is the worst one I've got or loaded for.
It's no secret Remingtons have had poor primary extraction but whatever the reason these new RR ones are worse.
Do some research you'll find plenty of complaints.

How do you know the new RR 700 actions have zero primary extraction? Furthermore, if there is no primary extraction, is it possible to have secondary extraction?
Part smarty pants, part sincere line of questioning. Keep this thread rolling. I love my Rem. 700's and would like to know deficiencies others are facing.
Because I got one.

Your 7 mag action is not gonna feed with a Nosler case unless you work on the feed lips and ramp. If your gonna do a Nosler you need the RUM action. If a Nosler case is what you want I would just sell the gun and start with the right action it will be less money in the end.
Be aware though these new RR 700 actions have zero primary extraction ask me how I know.
I bought a 7mag from Walmart and turned it into my 28 nosler. Other than the mag needing a bit of adjusting and the feed rails opened up by about .010" it's worked great for me

They, 700 series, have long had failure to extract problems. But, Sako, or mini 16, extractors have always been the solution. Are there any new problems, or same ol' story.

By the time the OP has all the work done he might as well.go custom. Raggedhole has a trade in deal that's pretty good for one of his Hell Betty's that are a Defiance tenacity.

I've been lucky. Only failure to extract issues I've had are when I put the wrong handle from another action in. Couldn't figure it out. Shot pretty good though :)

I agree, but then what would I do with this pile of crap 7mm mag? It will shoot two holes touching then one flyer 4-6 inches away. Then two touching somewhere else. Then another flyer. I thought it was a bad scope but no such luck. Plus a new build and load development gives me something to do.

Yuppers,,, my Remmy BDL Left Hand 700 had the same issue...

It ended up being a bent firing pin...

Who-da Thunk...

So my gun Smith friend collared the bolt shank to keep it firmly seated in the action,,, spun the firing pin on the lath,,, and straighten it up...

He polished the inside shank,,, Auto Soaled the inside to a chrome like finish,,, buffed the firing pin bump stop collar,,, and the fly-ers were gone...

I'm running with that F-Pin for now,,, I'll order a new oversized pin and spring from PT&G this winter,,, my friend will fit it as needed...

Just sharing where my fly-ers were coming from,,, I thought my issue was a hanging up trigger shear,,, at least I got mine up and running...

Cheers from the North

PS: We installed a new trigger at the same time.

I've seen this two holes touching and then a flier thing in a bunch of factory guns. I've seen a couple people mention common causes (bedding and hanging firing pin).. one of the most common causes I've seen being a gunsmith is your front scope base screw contacting the barrel threads.
If still interested in rebarreling I do a bunch of work and use Rock Creek or Mullerworks barrels. Make sure whoever does is squares the lug seats, receiver face, recoil lug, and lap in the lugs.

Get the action cleaned up and rebarrel to a 338 Rum . Long range Elk hammer problem solved .
Mine do just fine with H-1000 & 300 bergers . Dies are cheap too !
Good luck in you search for the One !

Rum Man
I've been back and forth from edge to RUM for a while. And I think I have ruled out the Nosler 33 thanks to everybody's input on here. What barrel length do you like?

I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. That has never shot well. I want to scrap everything but the action and have something built. I naturally want all of the range and accuracy I can squeeze out of the 700 action.

Initial thoughts are to build a Nosler 33. I am planning on sending it to hart to have the barrel and action work done. Maybe a jewel trigger. No idea on a stock right now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on caliber or barrel companies?

There are quite a few well respected sponsors on here that seem to do great work. If I was in Your locale I'd reach out to them.

There's a couple within what appears to be your Wyoming time zone.

Why a 33 Nosler?

What is the intended Targets or Game?

As Plain Vanilla as it may sound,
The Broz' .300 Win Mag Throated for 215 Bergers out of a 9-10 twist Sendero Fluted @ 26-28" is going to be hard to beat.

It would seem anything sporting the Nosler head stamp seems to have throat issues far too soon to be fed & re-barreled out of my paltry satchel.

Your Milage May Vary

I've been back and forth from edge to RUM for a while. And I think I have ruled out the Nosler 33 thanks to everybody's input on here. What barrel length do you like?

You cant go wrong with the Edge or the Rum . Both will shoot and perform neck and neck with each other when built the same .
My rifles are built with 30" barrels and 1/10 twist . They both run around 2884 fps. If I was to build a new one for hunting I would use a carbon 26" barrel with a 1/9 twist and a terminator brake .

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts