Need Advice on a Build

KCFDCapt

I have a Remington 700XCR in 338 Lapua. I am needing some help on mounting a scope on it. I want to shoot it at 1000+ yards. I am looking at a NightForce scope, either the 8-32X56 or 12-42X56 NSX scope. I see there are two different rails available to mount the scope to, the 20 MOA and the 40 MOA. I have no idea which would be needed for the 1000+ yard shots. Also, I do not find a chart to tell me what height rings to use to mount it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 20 MOA rail will get you to 1000 yards and beyond. The 40 MOA rail is for getting everything out of your rifle that it is capable of. I have a Savage 300 wm with a 20 moa rail and I am over 1000 yards. The Nightforce has a lot of internal adjustment so it will get you out there. I am not sure what rings will be needed with the 56mm objective; you may have to go with high rings to make that work, but I am not sure. Calling Nightforce may help with that.

Be careful on scope choice as the 12-42X56 NSX has very limited internal travel. I know you are getting a tall base but still with a 338 lap you might want to have a scope where you can "send 'em out far"

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.