Measuring MV of a 50BMG

jimisbell

My Chrono would run and hide in the corner quivering with fear if it knew I had a 50BMG that it might be asked to measure. So how do you measure MV on a 50BMG?

This is the best way to shoot the big guns and not loose a reading due to muzzle blast.

F9A17A74-8B02-46DF-BB66-09019E4CB5B7.jpeg

Depends on the brake, a good fishgill or tank brake will be no problem at 15 yards.....the blast is dirrected to the side.

As others have stated, just stick it out away from the muzzle further. If yours uses optical sensors with sky screens and are worried about shooting the chrono then get a cheap laser bore sighter that slides in the muzzle. Set the rifle up and get it on target, slide the bore sighter in, turn it on, set the chrono up using something as a backer to see where the muzzle is pointing, and adjust the stand/tripod so the bullet goes through the sky screens where you want. Just remember to take the bore sighter out of the muzzle.😂
There is also a formula you can use for shooting through loopholes at different distances. I cannot give it to you…but you can find it on the internet. 🙄

Tape measure, slow motion camera, and a stop watch?😉 actually the above advice on 15+ feet infront is good advice and works. To check it to see the safe distance, you can drop pieces of paper out in front of your gun at 5 ft intervals and fire a shot. Let's you know the extent of the blast. It's what I did. I couldn't get any volunteers to stand off to the side INFRONT of it! Go figure...need better friends!!!°😂

I use an optical and I always set it 15' out in front. not sure if you need to go farther. I add 1 fps mv, per foot of distance the chrono is out front and seems to be bang on out to 2000 yards.
I'm only shooting a 30 cal so not sure how far you want to put it out, the paper idea is good.

Sounds like a real chalange to drop a piece of paper then run back to the gun and get a shot off before it hits the ground.......how many did you hit?

My Chrono would run and hide in the corner quivering with fear if it knew I had a 50BMG that it might be asked to measure. So how do you measure MV on a 50BMG?
LabRadar with a muzzle blast shield between muzzle break and LabRadar unit using JKL Precision trigger. Big bullet base, easy peazy. From memory, DOPE at farm, M107A1 29" ~2940fps M33 661gr. ~ 2860fps 750gr A-tips. A-tips really fly nicely....

LabRadar with a muzzle blast shield between muzzle break and LabRadar unit using JKL Precision trigger. Big bullet base, easy peazy. From memory, DOPE at farm, M107A1 29" ~2940fps M33 661gr. ~ 2860fps 750gr A-tips. A-tips really fly nicely....
A-tips rock and 2860-90 is right on too.